Subject: bug#23402: closed (Re: bug#23402: 25.1.50; Some links in doc strings from C aren't turned into links)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2016 20:16:02 +0000

Your bug report

#23402: help xref links to items defined in files not yet loaded

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
23402: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=23402
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#23402: 25.1.50; Some links in doc strings from C aren't turned into links
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
To: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2016 22:15:43 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> writes:

> Glenn Morris wrote:
>
>> `help-enable-auto-load'
>
> Ah, no, that's only relevant for things that are autoloaded.

Yeah, I don't think there is anything that Emacs can do here when you
have a doc string referring to a function that isn't loaded.  Emacs
can't find the function, so...

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no

Subject: 25.1.50; Some links in doc strings from C aren't turned into links
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2016 20:23:20 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

(describe-function 'kbd)
=>
kbd is a compiled Lisp function in ‘subr.el’.

(kbd KEYS)

Convert KEYS to the internal Emacs key representation.
KEYS should be a string constant in the format used for
saving keyboard macros (see ‘edmacro-mode’).

The subr.el is linked, but the edmacro-mode isn't...

In GNU Emacs 25.1.50.33 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.9)
 of 2016-04-29 built on mouse
Repository revision: 0c035a742f4298b8a924de70756df730be2de989
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11803000
System Description:	Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS
NOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nb_NO.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nb_NO.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: nb_NO.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: C
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent messages:
Checking new news...done
Contacting host: debbugs.gnu.org:80
Opening nndoc server on /tmp/gnus-temp-group-5541M3N-ephemeral...done
Type C-x 1 to delete the help window.
next-line: End of buffer
user-error: No mark set in this buffer
mouse-2, RET: find function's definition
mouse-2, RET: go back to previous help buffer
user-error: No cross-reference here
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
~/src/emacs/elpa/packages/debbugs/debbugs-org hides /home/larsi/.emacs.d/elpa/debbugs-0.7/debbugs-org
~/src/emacs/elpa/packages/debbugs/debbugs-browse hides /home/larsi/.emacs.d/elpa/debbugs-0.7/debbugs-browse
~/src/emacs/elpa/packages/debbugs/debbugs-gnu hides /home/larsi/.emacs.d/elpa/debbugs-0.7/debbugs-gnu
~/src/emacs/elpa/packages/debbugs/debbugs hides /home/larsi/.emacs.d/elpa/debbugs-0.7/debbugs

Features:
(shadow emacsbug flow-fill texinfo shell pcomplete grep compile comint
pp two-column kmacro iso-transl edebug pulse thingatpt xref project
apropos vc-annotate misearch multi-isearch log-view log-edit ring
pcvs-util vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs vc-dir ewoc
bug-reference mailalias smtpmail sendmail ecomplete whitespace vc
vc-dispatcher copyright vc-git diff-mode map eieio-opt speedbar sb-image
ezimage dframe find-func nndoc crm qp shr-color color eww gnus-html
help-fns sort gnus-cite smiley ansi-color url-queue url-cache mm-archive
gnus-async gnus-dup gnus-ml gmane spam-gmane dns mm-url disp-table
gnus-fun gnus-mdrtn gnus-topic nndraft nnmh utf-7 nnfolder
network-stream starttls nnir spam-report spam spam-stat gnus-uu yenc
gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art
mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig nntp gnus-cache gnus-sum
gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source
utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message
format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
gnus-win gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mail-utils
wid-edit movie mkv shr svg browse-url imdb dom pvr debug debbugs-gnu
easy-mmode derived subr-x debbugs soap-client mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode url-http tls gnutls url-auth mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums url-gw nsm puny url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap warnings
rng-xsd rng-dt rng-util xsd-regexp xml ido flyspell ispell dired
dired-loaddefs add-log mail-extr mm-util mail-prsvr jka-compr cl
finder-inf info package epg-config url-handlers url-parse auth-source
cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache url-vars
seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra help-mode easymenu cconv
cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1055016 353159)
 (symbols 48 162159 0)
 (miscs 40 1107 4121)
 (strings 32 252887 86935)
 (string-bytes 1 8617069)
 (vectors 16 48454)
 (vector-slots 8 1802821 186862)
 (floats 8 6237 2611)
 (intervals 56 40506 5838)
 (buffers 976 140)
 (heap 1024 419280 102081))

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no