Subject: bug#23387: closed (Re: 25.0.93; Unicode quote inserted in Python mode outside of strings)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 02 May 2016 16:05:02 +0000

Your bug report

#23387: 25.0.93; Unicode quote inserted in Python mode outside of strings

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
23387: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=23387
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: 25.0.93; Unicode quote inserted in Python mode outside of strings
From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
To: Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 2 May 2016 09:04:18 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Thanks for the bug report and patch, but I ran into a problem with the 
patch. Suppose I do this:

emacs -Q
M-x electric-quote-mode
M-x customize-variable RET electric-quote-string, set it to t, save
M-x python-mode
'abc'

That is, I type apostrophe-a-b-c-apostrophe in Python mode. With the 
patch, the buffer will contain:

'abc’

The opening apostrophe is OK, but the closing apostrophe is considered 
to be inside a string so it is transmogrified into a right single 
quotation mark. A Python programmer would want both to be apostrophes.

I installed the attached patches into emacs-25 instead, as they should 
address this problem too. Please give it a try.

Subject: 25.0.93; Unicode quote inserted in Python mode outside of strings
From: Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2016 16:14:57 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

emacs -Q
M-x electric-quote-mode
M-x customize-variable RET electric-quote-string, set it to t, save
M-x python-mode
Hit '

Expected: ' (ASCII apostrophe) is inserted because point is outside a string
Actual: ’ (Unicode quote) is inserted

This seems to happen only in Python mode, not in e.g. emacs-lisp-mode.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.93.5 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.8)
 of 2016-04-24 built on localhost
Repository revision: 0cd2e923dba8d8c7128b0c084ce6af22069e8db5
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11501000
System Description:	Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Configured using:
 'configure --with-modules
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-fuse-ld=gold,--export-dynamic-symbol=__google_auxv'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG SOUND GSETTINGS NOTIFY FREETYPE XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 MODULES

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Python

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-quote-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Electric-Quote mode enabled
Quit
Creating customization items...
Creating customization items ...done
Resetting customization items...done
Creating customization setup...done
To install your edits, invoke [State] and choose the Set operation
Source file ‘/usr/local/google/home/phst/ThirdParty/Emacs/lisp/progmodes/python.el’ newer than byte-compiled file
Can’t guess python-indent-offset, using defaults: 4
Source file ‘/usr/local/google/home/phst/ThirdParty/Emacs/lisp/dired.el’ newer than byte-compiled file

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message dired rfc822 mml mml-sec epg
epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils
python tramp-sh tramp tramp-compat auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core
cl-macs gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache tramp-loaddefs
trampver ucs-normalize shell pcomplete format-spec advice json map seq
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra cconv comint ring ansi-color
cus-edit wid-edit thingatpt help-fns help-mode easymenu cl-loaddefs
pcase cl-lib cus-start cus-load time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 239874 9745)
 (symbols 48 24466 0)
 (miscs 40 400 230)
 (strings 32 29068 7264)
 (string-bytes 1 922223)
 (vectors 16 39237)
 (vector-slots 8 730263 4252)
 (floats 8 240 60)
 (intervals 56 261 0)
 (buffers 976 14)
 (heap 1024 32672 1237))

-- 
Google Germany GmbH
Erika-Mann-Straße 33
80636 München

Registergericht und -nummer: Hamburg, HRB 86891
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg
Geschäftsführer: Matthew Scott Sucherman, Paul Terence Manicle

Diese E-Mail ist vertraulich.  Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind,
leiten Sie diese bitte nicht weiter, informieren Sie den Absender und löschen
Sie die E-Mail und alle Anhänge.  Vielen Dank.

This e-mail is confidential.  If you are not the right addressee please do not
forward it, please inform the sender, and please erase this e-mail including
any attachments.  Thanks.