Subject: bug#23382: gzip-1.8 released [stable]

From: Jim Meyering <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2016 22:35:51 +0100

This is to announce gzip-1.8, a stable release.
There have been 6 commits by 2 people in the 4 weeks since 1.7.
See the NEWS below for a brief summary.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed!
The following people contributed changes to this release:

  Jim Meyering (3)
  Paul Eggert (3)

Jim [on behalf of the gzip maintainers]
=============================================================

Here is the GNU gzip home page:
    http://gnu.org/s/gzip/

For a summary of changes and contributors, see:
  http://git.sv.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=gzip.git;a=shortlog;h=v1.8
or run this command from a git-cloned gzip directory:
  git shortlog v1.7..v1.8

To summarize the 35 gnulib-related changes, run these commands
from a git-cloned gzip directory:
  git checkout v1.8
  git submodule summary v1.7

=============================================================
Here are the compressed sources:
  http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gzip/gzip-1.8.tar.gz   (1.1MB)
  http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gzip/gzip-1.8.tar.xz   (712KB)

Here are the GPG detached signatures[*]:
  http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gzip/gzip-1.8.tar.gz.sig
  http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gzip/gzip-1.8.tar.xz.sig

Use a mirror for higher download bandwidth:
  http://www.gnu.org/order/ftp.html

[*] Use a .sig file to verify that the corresponding file (without the
.sig suffix) is intact.  First, be sure to download both the .sig file
and the corresponding tarball.  Then, run a command like this:

  gpg --verify gzip-1.8.tar.gz.sig

If that command fails because you don't have the required public key,
then run this command to import it:

  gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-keys 7FD9FCCB000BEEEE

and rerun the 'gpg --verify' command.

This release was bootstrapped with the following tools:
  Autoconf 2.69.147-5ad35
  Automake 1.99a
  Gnulib v0.1-761-gd92a0d9

=============================================================
NEWS

* Noteworthy changes in release 1.8 (2016-04-26) [stable]

** Bug fixes

  gzip -l no longer falsely reports a write error when writing to a pipe.
  [bug introduced in gzip-1.7]

  Port to Oracle Solaris Studio 12 on x86-64.
  [bug present since at least gzip-1.2.4]

  When configuring gzip, ./configure DEFS='...-DNO_ASM...' now
  suppresses assembler again.  [bug introduced in gzip-1.3.5]

also posted as:
  https://savannah.gnu.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=8531