Subject: bug#23378: 25.0.92; Enacs daemon "get-device-terminal" error

From: Live System User <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 22:35:48 -0400

Hi,

I've somehow managed to get an Emacs daemon in a weird state:

liveuser@localhost:~$  emacsclient -c test
emacsclient: can't find socket; have you started the server?
To start the server in Emacs, type "M-x server-start".
Waiting for Emacs...
*ERROR*: Invalid argument #<terminal 2> in ‘get-device-terminal’
liveuser@localhost:~$

liveuser@localhost:~$  emacsclient -t test
emacsclient: can't find socket; have you started the server?
To start the server in Emacs, type "M-x server-start".
*ERROR*: Terminal is not live, can’t create new frames on it

I have a visible Emacs frame open but can only select menu items
although none of them will do anything except show:

   Invalid argument #<terminal 2> in ‘get-device-terminal’

in the echo area.

I suspect that I can't do anything except externally kill the
Emacs daemon but I figured I'd report this in case anybody has
any ideas on debugging this while I'll keep the process around
for a day or two...

Thanks.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.92.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.7)
 of 2016-03-03 built on copr-builder-919644472.novalocal
Windowing system distributor 'Fedora Project', version 11.0.11799901
Configured using:
 'configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
 --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
 --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
 --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png
 --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xft --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --with-gpm=no build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -g
 -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 -fexceptions -fstack-protector-strong --param=ssp-buffer-size=4
 -grecord-gcc-switches -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1
 -m64 -mtune=generic' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Are you sure you want to quit reading news? (y or n) y
Saving /home/liveuser/.newsrc...
Saving file /home/liveuser/.newsrc...
Wrote /home/liveuser/.newsrc
Saving /home/liveuser/.newsrc...done
Saving /home/liveuser/.newsrc.eld...
Saving file /home/liveuser/.newsrc.eld...
Wrote /home/liveuser/.newsrc.eld
Saving /home/liveuser/.newsrc.eld...done
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
~/.emacs.d/lisp/ntlm hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/net/ntlm
~/.emacs.d/lisp/gnus-group hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/gnus/gnus-group

Features:
(shadow emacsbug sendmail remote-emacsclient warnings server tramp-sh
tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver ucs-normalize shell pcomplete
comint ring advice debug timezone gnus-dup jka-compr eieio-opt speedbar
sb-image ezimage dframe find-func thingatpt shr-color color shr seq dom
subr-x browse-url flow-fill mm-archive sort gnus-cite smiley ansi-color
mail-extr gnus-async gnus-bcklg qp gnus-ml disp-table utf-7 rfc2104
cursor-sensor nndraft nnmh nndoc nnfolder nnagent nnml network-stream
nsm starttls gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual
gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig nntp
gnus-cache epa-file epa sieve sieve-mode sieve-manage nnir gnus-sum
gnus-group derived mm-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra cconv
eieio-core password-cache url-vars mailcap gnus-undo gnus-start
gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source tls gnutls utf7 netrc parse-time
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message cl-macs dired format-spec rfc822
mml mml-sec epg epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
gnus-win gnus gnus-ems wid-edit cl gv nnoo nnheader gnus-util mm-util
help-fns help-mode easymenu cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib mail-prsvr
mail-utils time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 329796 24536)
 (symbols 48 33052 11)
 (miscs 40 169 487)
 (strings 32 53460 31170)
 (string-bytes 1 1844208)
 (vectors 16 48063)
 (vector-slots 8 825841 29438)
 (floats 8 585 1132)
 (intervals 56 619 65)
 (buffers 976 83)
 (heap 1024 46676 51361))