Subject: Re: bug#23377: 25.0.93; Completion is extremely slow for insert-char

From: [email-masked] (N. Jackson)
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2016 22:54:33 -0300

At 09:26 +0300 on Tuesday 2016-04-26, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: [email-masked] (N. Jackson)
>> Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 21:25:28 -0300
>> 
>> emacs -Q
>> C-x 8 RET TAB
>> 
>> This takes over a minute on my Emacs before the completions buffer is
>> displayed listing the characters. (On subsequent invocations, it's more
>> like eight seconds.) On Emacs 24 it is effectively instantaneous.
>
> It takes 11 sec here on the first invocation, and is instantaneous
> thereafter.

I just rebuilt with -O3 and no (other) configure options. (The above was
with -O0 with checking turned on.)

With the new binary, with the recipe above, the buffer displays in six
or seven seconds. (It takes about the same amount of time on subsequent
invocations.) That isn't stellar, but it's not the huge problem I
reported before, when it was taking over a minute.