Subject: Re: bug#23377: 25.0.93; Completion is extremely slow for insert-char

From: [email-masked] (N. Jackson)
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2017 16:27:02 -0400

At 12:40 -0400 on Saturday 2017-09-30, Noam Postavsky wrote:
>
> [email-masked] (N. Jackson) writes:
>
>> At 10:21 +0300 on Wednesday 2016-04-27, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>>>
>>> So what's the consensus here: do we need an option for turning
>>> the character display off, or don't we?
>>
>> In my opinion FWIW (about 1.5 cents?), being able to see the
>> character beside the name is too nice to give up for Emacs
>> 25.1, but, at least until the feature is further refined and/or
>> performance is improved, there needs to be a way to toggle it
>> on and off.
>
> I think since Mark's patch from #28302 was applied the slowdown
> isn't as bad, but some people were reporting much bigger waits
> (depending on fonts I guess?) and I'm still seeing a noticable
> wait on the order of 1 or 2 seconds, so IMO having a toggle
> makes sense.

I just retried my original recipe

  emacs -Q
  C-x 8 RET
  TAB

on the emacs-26 branch and indeed it is amazingly much faster --
about one second here.

It might be nice for those on older and slower hardware to have a
toggle, but it is no longer so obviously necessary.

N.