Subject: 25.0.93; `text-quoting-style' missing from manual and from customize

From: [email-masked] (N. Jackson)
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 09:59:25 -0300

While reading the Emacs NEWS file I was happy to discover that the
variable `text-quoting-style' can be used to see the conventional
readable and unambiguous quoting style for symbols in help buffers etc..

However, when I tried to set it, I discovered that it is missing from
Customize.

[Putting (setq text-quoting-style 'grave) in my init file works, but I
prefer to use custom-set-variables as a matter of course to benefit
from its advantages.]

Additionally, when I looked in the Emacs Manual, I couldn't find an
entry for `text-quoting-style'.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.93.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.9)
 of 2016-04-23 built on moondust
Repository revision: 5c587fdff164e8b90beb47f6da64b4884290e40a
Windowing system distributor 'Fedora Project', version 11.0.11803000
System Description:	Fedora release 23 (Twenty Three)

Configured using:
 'configure --enable-checking=yes,glyphs --enable-check-lisp-object-type
 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g3 -gdwarf-4''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_DK.utf8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_DK.utf8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_DK.utf8
  value of $LANG: en_CA.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  temp-buffer-resize-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  global-visual-line-mode: t
  visual-line-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Reading active file via nnnil...done
Reading active file from archive via nnfolder...
Opening nnfolder server on archive...done
Reading active file from archive via nnfolder...done
Reading active file via nnfolder...
Opening nnfolder server...done
Reading incoming mail from file...
nnfolder: Reading incoming mail (no new mail)...done
Reading active file via nnfolder...done
Checking new news...done
Quit

Load-path shadows:
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ob-gnuplot hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ob-gnuplot
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/org-eshell hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/org-eshell
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ox-md hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ox-md
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ob-shen hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ob-shen
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/org-timer hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/org-timer
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ob-ruby hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ob-ruby
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ox hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ox
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ox-html hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ox-html
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ob-latex hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ob-latex
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/org-archive hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/org-archive
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ob-org hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ob-org
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/org-install hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/org-install
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ox-latex hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ox-latex
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ob-sass hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ob-sass
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ox-icalendar hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ox-icalendar
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ob-screen hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ob-screen
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/org-bibtex hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/org-bibtex
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/org-footnote hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/org-footnote
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/org-datetree hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/org-datetree
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/org-colview hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/org-colview
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/org-attach hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/org-attach
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/org-mouse hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/org-mouse
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ob-dot hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ob-dot
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ob-scala hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ob-scala
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/org-compat hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/org-compat
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ob-core hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ob-core
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ob-awk hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ob-awk
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ob-makefile hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ob-makefile
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/org-macro hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/org-macro
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/org-ctags hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/org-ctags
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/org-capture hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/org-capture
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ox-beamer hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ox-beamer
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/org-mobile hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/org-mobile
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/org-indent hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/org-indent
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ob-lilypond hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ob-lilypond
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ob-asymptote hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ob-asymptote
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ox-odt hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ox-odt
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/org-w3m hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/org-w3m
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ob-plantuml hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ob-plantuml
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ob-table hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ob-table
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ob-ocaml hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ob-ocaml
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/org-crypt hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/org-crypt
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ob-js hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ob-js
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ob-clojure hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ob-clojure
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ob-haskell hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ob-haskell
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/org-version hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/org-version
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ob-scheme hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ob-scheme
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/org-table hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/org-table
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ob-C hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ob-C
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ob-ledger hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ob-ledger
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ob-fortran hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ob-fortran
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ob-sql hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ob-sql
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/org hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/org
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/org-loaddefs hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/org-loaddefs
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/org-list hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/org-list
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ob-lisp hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ob-lisp
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/org-docview hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/org-docview
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ob-eval hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ob-eval
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/org-element hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/org-element
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ob hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ob
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ox-ascii hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ox-ascii
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/org-info hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/org-info
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ob-css hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ob-css
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/org-rmail hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/org-rmail
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/org-irc hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/org-irc
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ob-tangle hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ob-tangle
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ob-ditaa hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ob-ditaa
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/org-feed hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/org-feed
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/org-clock hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/org-clock
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/org-habit hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/org-habit
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/org-pcomplete hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/org-pcomplete
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/org-entities hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/org-entities
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ob-io hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ob-io
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ob-octave hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ob-octave
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/org-faces hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/org-faces
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ob-perl hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ob-perl
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/org-src hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/org-src
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/org-protocol hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/org-protocol
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ox-man hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ox-man
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ob-python hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ob-python
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ob-mscgen hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ob-mscgen
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ox-texinfo hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ox-texinfo
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ob-exp hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ob-exp
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/org-inlinetask hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/org-inlinetask
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ox-publish hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ox-publish
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ob-java hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ob-java
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ob-sqlite hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ob-sqlite
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/org-mhe hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/org-mhe
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ox-org hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ox-org
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ob-R hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ob-R
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ob-lob hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ob-lob
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ob-picolisp hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ob-picolisp
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/org-agenda hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/org-agenda
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ob-matlab hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ob-matlab
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/org-gnus hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/org-gnus
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/org-macs hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/org-macs
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/org-id hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/org-id
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ob-keys hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ob-keys
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ob-comint hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ob-comint
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ob-ref hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ob-ref
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/org-bbdb hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/org-bbdb
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ob-calc hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ob-calc
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ob-emacs-lisp hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ob-emacs-lisp
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/ob-maxima hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/ob-maxima
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160418/org-plot hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/org/org-plot
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/soap-client-3.1.1/soap-inspect hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/net/soap-inspect
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/soap-client-3.1.1/soap-client hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/net/soap-client
~/.emacs.d/modules/emms/lisp/tq hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/git/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/tq

Features:
(shadow bbdb-message emacsbug sendmail ffap ibuf-ext ibuffer novice
thai-util thai-word lao-util vc-git diff-mode view eieio-opt speedbar
sb-image ezimage dframe flow-fill mm-archive pp url-http url-gw url-auth
eww url-queue shr dom cus-edit compface gnus-fun gnus-html browse-url
url-cache mm-url smiley gnus-cite gnus-bcklg gnus-async misearch
multi-isearch qp mail-extr gnus-ml disp-table nndraft nnmh utf-7 server
pinentry epa-file epa derived network-stream nsm starttls nnfolder
bbdb-gnus bbdb-mua nnnil gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode
nnvirtual gnus-msg nntp gnus-cache thingatpt latexenc preview prv-emacs
font-latex latex tex-style sage-latex tex-buf tex dbus xml tex-mode
shell flyspell ispell sage sage-load rx emms-bookmarks emms-cue
emms-mode-line-icon emms-browser sort emms-playlist-sort
emms-last-played emms-player-xine emms-player-mpd tq emms-playing-time
emms-lyrics emms-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse auth-source eieio
eieio-core url-vars emms-streams emms-tag-editor emms-mark
emms-mode-line emms-cache emms-info-ogginfo emms-info-mp3info emms-info
later-do emms-playlist-mode emms-player-vlc emms-player-mplayer
emms-player-simple emms-source-playlist emms-source-file locate
emms-setup emms emms-compat compile org-contacts cl-seq org-capture
gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig mailcap gnus-sum
gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source tls
gnutls utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message
cl-macs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epg mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums gmm-utils
mailheader gnus-win gnus gnus-ems nnheader mail-utils mm-util help-fns
mail-prsvr cl org-rmail org-mhe org-irc org-info org-gnus gnus-util
org-docview doc-view subr-x jka-compr image-mode dired org-bibtex bibtex
org-bbdb org-element avl-tree org-w3m org-agenda org advice org-macro
org-footnote org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities
noutline outline easy-mmode org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle
ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys ob-comint comint
ansi-color ring ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs
format-spec find-func bbdb-anniv diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs bbdb-com crm mailabbrev bbdb bbdb-site timezone
bbdb-loaddefs finder-inf tex-site info package epg-config seq byte-opt
gv bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra help-mode cconv edmacro kmacro recentf
tree-widget wid-edit easymenu battery time wheatgrass-theme paren
savehist saveplace elec-pair desktop frameset cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib
delsel cus-start cus-load time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 865634 151746)
 (symbols 48 110907 0)
 (miscs 40 8574 3681)
 (strings 32 218281 16823)
 (string-bytes 1 8944080)
 (vectors 16 56692)
 (vector-slots 8 1131629 48053)
 (floats 8 652 1168)
 (intervals 56 53328 1698)
 (buffers 976 116)
 (heap 1024 141311 20814))