Subject: bug#23372: 25.0.93; text-quoting-style missing from manual and from customize

From: Kaushal Modi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2016 21:45:01 +0000

>
> Do any others object to having a customization option along with release of
> the feature?  I'm cross-posting this to Emacs-devel to get more opinions.
>
> The question is: Should `text-quoting-style' be customizable in 25.1, or
> should it be a variable, thus requiring Lisp code to change it for now?
>

If a user's opinion counts, I now like the curved quotes (thanks Paul and
others!). The quotes look great! There was initial resistance from my side
as I saw a lot of inconsistencies. But by now, all the inconsistencies that
at least I saw are resolved. Earlier I wanted to switch back to quotes
being displayed as ` and ', but not anymore :).

So I do not mind the quotes being displayed curly by default and that
option still not being a defcustom.

If we see a lot of emacs users unhappy because of this, then may be this is
converted to defcustom in 25.2? Because as Eli said:

> It is easy to make a variable into a defcustom; the inverse is generally
> much harder.
-- 

-- 
Kaushal Modi