Subject: bug#23372: 25.0.93; text-quoting-style missing from manual and from customize

From: John Wiegley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2016 20:02:16 -0400

>>>>> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> It _should_ be a user option. You've radically changed the default behavior
>> of Emacs. Give individual users a simple way to undo your choice. This is
>> at least as important as letting a user change the default appearance of a
>> face.

> I don't think we know enough about the impact of this feature to make that
> decision at this time. We will have to see how it is accepted by the users
> out there first. It could be deemed by the majority as the best invention
> since sliced bread. Having a variable to disable it is a good fire escape
> for now.

I believe it should be a customizable option. Reason: I want to customize that
option and turn it off; and I'd much rather use customize-option to do it than
add Lisp code to my .emacs (which I almost never have to do for variables, so
I don't see why this should be a special case).

I don't think we need to wait to hear a ruckus before we offer people a way to
return to the Emacs-they-know-and-love. So, would someone please make this
variable into a customizable option? I can do so by the weekend if no one else
gets to it.

-- 
John Wiegley                  GPG fingerprint = 4710 CF98 AF9B 327B B80F
http://newartisans.com                          60E1 46C4 BD1A 7AC1 4BA2