Subject: bug#23362: 25.0.93; Unicode chars (such as 0x1F600) are not rendered correctly

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 19:33:33 +0900

>>>>> On Mon, 25 Apr 2016 13:19:51 +0300, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> said:

>> The change I made does not prevent emoji from being displayed with
>> other non-multicolor fonts.  Moreover, the appearance with the
>> default setting is the same between 24.5 and 25.0.93.  So I don't
>> think we need to provide a workaround.

> Thanks, that's good to know.

> However, there's something I still don't understand: how come the OP
> doesn't see any symbols at all (see the screenshots he provided)?

Because the OS-bundled fonts other than Apple Color Emoji do not
contain glyphs for U+1F600 or U+1F602.  I.e., font is not available
for these characters.

> IOW, if the default setting works fine, is there some non-default
> setting we should be telling users to avoid, in order to have these
> symbols displayed (albeit without colors)?

Installing some third-party monochrome emoji fonts?  Unfortunately I'm
not familiar with such fonts.

				     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
				[email-masked]