Subject: bug#23362: 25.0.93; Unicode chars (such as 0x1F600) are not rendered correctly

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 19:07:45 +0900

>>>>> On Mon, 25 Apr 2016 12:59:07 +0300, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> said:

>> With the current 25.0.93, an attempt to display emoji (where only
>> Apple Color Emoji provides its glyph) results in the same
>> appearance (i.e., not displaying at all) regardless of the explicit
>> font setting given by the OP.

> But the original report in this bug, displayed on MS-Windows using
> the Symbola font, shows the two emoji symbols for me, albeit devoid
> of any color.  So if on OS X they don't display at all, that's
> something that should be fixable by selecting some other font, such
> as Symbola, which has glyphs for these symbols, no?  Or am I missing
> something here?

To be more precise, "disabling multicolor font" means it effectively
excludes multicolor fonts from available ones.  It does not disable
font *display* code actually, but that part is now effectively dead
because we can no longer select multicolor fonts.

The change I made does not prevent emoji from being displayed with
other non-multicolor fonts.  Moreover, the appearance with the default
setting is the same between 24.5 and 25.0.93.  So I don't think we
need to provide a workaround.

				     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
				[email-masked]