Subject: Re: bug#23362: 25.0.93; Unicode chars (such as 0x1F600) are not rendered correctly

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 12:59:07 +0300

> Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 18:40:16 +0900
> From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],
> 	[email-masked]
> 
> > Thanks.  However, the OP seems to imply that the Emoji symbols are
> > rendered incorrectly, or not displayed at all, when multicolor fonts
> > are used, not just that the colors are not shown.  If that is true (is
> > it?), I'd suggest to have in NEWS a workaround (use a different
> > font?), not just a statement of the fact that we don't support these
> > fonts.
> 
> With the current 25.0.93, an attempt to display emoji (where only
> Apple Color Emoji provides its glyph) results in the same appearance
> (i.e., not displaying at all) regardless of the explicit font setting
> given by the OP.

But the original report in this bug, displayed on MS-Windows using the
Symbola font, shows the two emoji symbols for me, albeit devoid of any
color.  So if on OS X they don't display at all, that's something that
should be fixable by selecting some other font, such as Symbola, which
has glyphs for these symbols, no?  Or am I missing something here?