Subject: bug#23351: 25.0.92; Gnus and Gcc error

From: Live System User <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2016 17:28:24 -0400

Hi,

I sent a bug report via `M-x report-emacs-bug' to which Gnus is
configured to add a Gcc: header to Gcc to my IMAP "Sent" folder.

Although the *trace of SMTP session* buffer showed the other
recpients had the email successfully accepted by their respective
SMTP servers, this time, the Gcc to my IMAP "Sent" folder failed.

The *Message* buffer contained:

     gnus-inews-do-gcc: Can’t open server nnimap
     Auto-saving...done

A *unsent mail to [email-masked]* buffer remains.

Looking at the headers in this buffer, I see that a "To: " and
a "Cc: " header remains but no longer a "Gcc: " header.  I
suppose that last part is not an issue because I think Gnus would
add a "Gcc: " header when I went to subsequetually send the
message `(message-send-and-exit)' -- but I'm not sure.  I
thought that Gnus added the "Gcc: " header before you typed
`C-c C-c' which would mean I would NOT be Gcc'ed.

If I were to resend the message, as is, the "To: " and the "Cc: "
recipients would receive a duplicate copy.  If I removed them,
I would have to put myself in the "To: " field because I
probably couldn't send an email with just a "Gcc: " header and
no "To: " header.  This would be OK (just myself in the "To: "
header) except I then lose the "specialness" of a "Gcc: ", i.e.
like "mark alreadly read", same Message-Id as the original
recipients -- useful for things like invoking
`(gnus-summary-refer-parent-article)', etc.

Not sure what can be done with this bug report since not deleting
drafts unless ALL recipients have successfully received an email
is of utmost importance and the ability to possibly "correct and
resend" rather than something automatically done (like postpone?).

So feel free to close as "not a bug" if there isn't anything
reasonable that can be done by Emacs.

Thanks.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.92.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.7)
 of 2016-03-03 built on copr-builder-919644472.novalocal
Windowing system distributor 'Fedora Project', version 11.0.11799901
Configured using:
 'configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
 --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
 --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
 --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png
 --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xft --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --with-gpm=no build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -g
 -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 -fexceptions -fstack-protector-strong --param=ssp-buffer-size=4
 -grecord-gcc-switches -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1
 -m64 -mtune=generic' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Summary

Minor modes in effect:
  gnus-draft-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Scoring...done
Sorting threads...done
Generating summary...done
Retrieving newsgroup: nndraft:drafts...
Fetching headers for nndraft:drafts...done
Sorting threads...done
Generating summary...done
Quit

Load-path shadows:
~/.emacs.d/lisp/ntlm hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/net/ntlm
~/.emacs.d/lisp/gnus-group hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/gnus/gnus-group

Features:
(gnus-draft nnregistry gnus-registry registry eieio-compat eieio-base
mh-utils gnus-mh mh-comp mh-scan mh-gnus mh-e mh-compat mh-acros
mh-buffers mh-loaddefs gnus-dup cl gnus-eform eieio-opt speedbar
sb-image ezimage dframe find-func thingatpt jka-compr noutline outline
easy-mmode view kmacro two-column iso-transl gnus-cite smiley ansi-color
shr-color color url-util url-parse url-vars shr seq dom subr-x
browse-url mm-archive gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-ml disp-table
cursor-sensor nndraft nnmh nndoc nnfolder utf-7 rfc2104 gnus-agent
gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu
mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig mailcap nntp gnus-cache debug
network-stream nsm starttls mailalias smtpmail qp character-fold
misearch multi-isearch pp shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail
epa-file epa derived auth-source cl-seq eieio byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cl-extra cconv eieio-core cl-macs gv sieve sieve-mode
sieve-manage password-cache nnir gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo
gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source tls gnutls utf7 netrc
parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message idna dired format-spec
rfc822 mml mml-sec epg epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader gnus-win gnus gnus-ems wid-edit nnoo nnheader gnus-util
mm-util help-fns help-mode easymenu cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib mail-prsvr
mail-utils time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 3174454 320564)
 (symbols 48 155641 72)
 (miscs 40 564 1473)
 (strings 32 141167 32092)
 (string-bytes 1 4754635)
 (vectors 16 34715)
 (vector-slots 8 1598049 161607)
 (floats 8 663 2557)
 (intervals 56 6273 1045)
 (buffers 976 187)
 (heap 1024 153557 59292))