Subject: Re: bug#23347: 25.0.92; Follow mode scrolling broken -- scrolls only one page

From: Anders Lindgren <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2016 14:36:27 +0200

Hi!

The normal `scroll-up-command' and `scroll-down-command' (typically bound
to C-v and M-v) can scroll a page at a time, there is no need for a Follow
mode-specific command for that, as the normal Follow mode machinery can
reposition the other windows. (The only difference is that when using C-v
the original window is still selected, whereas with the new
follow-scroll-up command the windows where the original point ends up is
selected.)

I admit it didn't occur to me that there might be use cases other than my
> own.  What I think we need here is a customisable option.  How about
> `follow-scroll-single-page-flag'?  The cleanest default for it would
> probably be nil, since that better observes the abstraction that the
> collection of all visible windows should be regarded as a single page.
>

A cleaner solution would be to define two sets of functions, e.g.
follow-scroll-up-one-page. Many users might want to use both kind of
scrolling (I use both C-v and C-c . C-v several time every day, depending
on how I would like to scroll the display). With two sets of functions it's
easier to do this. (Also, it's easier to write documentation for a function
designed to do one thing.)

    -- Anders