Subject: 25.0.92; Gnus doesn't honor nnimap-address

From: Live System User <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2016 04:19:18 -0400

Hi,

It appears that Gnus doesn't honor the value of `nnimap-address'.

As an experiment, I set my `gnus-secondary-select-methods' to:

gnus-secondary-select-methods is a variable defined in ‘gnus.el’.
Its value is shown below.

Documentation:
A list of secondary methods that will be used for reading news.
This is a list where each element is a complete select method (see
‘gnus-select-method’).

If, for instance, you want to read your mail with the nnml back end,
you could set this variable:

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "")))

You can customize this variable.

Value: ((nnfolder "")
 (nnimap "gmail"
	 (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
	 (nnimap-server-port 993)
	 (nnimap-stream ssl)
	 (nnimap-list-pattern
	  ("*"))
	 (nnimap-expunge-on-close 'never)
	 (nnimap-expunge nil)
	 (nnir-search-engine imap)))

Original value was nil

I then executed M-x gnus.

It failed because it couldn't resolve the hostname "gmail" but it
should have used the value of `nnimap-address'.

Here is the contents of the *Message* buffer:

Reading /home/liveuser/.newsrc.eld...
Opening nnimap server on gmail...
Opening connection to gmail via tls...
Unable to open server nnimap+gmail due to: gmail/993 No address associated with hostname
Opening nnimap server on gmail...failed: 
Opening nnfolder server...done
Opening nnimap server on gmail...
Opening connection to gmail via tls...
Unable to open server nnimap+gmail due to: gmail/993 No address associated with hostname
Opening nnimap server on gmail...failed: 
No new newsgroups
Checking new news...
Reading active file via nnfolder...
Opening nnfolder server...done
Reading incoming mail from file...
nnfolder: Reading incoming mail (no new mail)...done
Reading active file via nnfolder...done
Reading active file from archive via nnfolder...
Opening nnfolder server on archive...done
Reading active file from archive via nnfolder...done
Reading active file via nndraft...done
Opening nnimap server on gmail...
Server nnimap+gmail previously determined to be down; not retrying
Opening nnimap server on gmail...failed: 
Opening nnimap server on gmail...
Server nnimap+gmail previously determined to be down; not retrying
Opening nnimap server on gmail...failed: 
Checking new news...done
Warning: Opening nnimap server on gmail...failed: ; Server nnimap+gmail previously determined to be down; not retrying; Opening nnimap server on gmail...failed: ; Server nnimap+gmail previously determined to be down; not retrying; Opening nnimap server on gmail...failed: ; Unable to open server nnimap+gmail due to: gmail/993 No address associated with hostname; Opening nnimap server on gmail...failed: ; Unable to open server nnimap+gmail due to: gmail/993 No address associated with hostname, 

If I add "gmail" to my /etc/hosts file:

74.125.22.108	imap.gmail.com gmail gmail-imap.l.google.com
74.125.22.109	imap.gmail.com gmail gmail-imap.l.google.com

it works, as expected.

Thanks.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.92.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.7)
 of 2016-03-03 built on copr-builder-919644472.novalocal
Windowing system distributor 'Fedora Project', version 11.0.11799901
Configured using:
 'configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
 --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
 --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
 --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png
 --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xft --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --with-gpm=no build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -g
 -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 -fexceptions -fstack-protector-strong --param=ssp-buffer-size=4
 -grecord-gcc-switches -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1
 -m64 -mtune=generic' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Process Menu

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Are you sure you want to quit reading news? (y or n) y
Saving /home/liveuser/.newsrc...
Saving file /home/liveuser/.newsrc...
Wrote /home/liveuser/.newsrc
Saving /home/liveuser/.newsrc...done
Saving /home/liveuser/.newsrc.eld...
Saving file /home/liveuser/.newsrc.eld...
Wrote /home/liveuser/.newsrc.eld
Saving /home/liveuser/.newsrc.eld...done
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
~/.emacs.d/lisp/ntlm hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/net/ntlm

Features:
(cl gnus-eform eieio-opt speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe find-func
thingatpt jka-compr noutline outline easy-mmode view kmacro two-column
iso-transl gnus-cite smiley ansi-color shr-color color url-util
url-parse url-vars shr seq dom subr-x browse-url mm-archive gnus-async
gnus-bcklg gnus-ml disp-table cursor-sensor nndraft nnmh nndoc nnfolder
utf-7 rfc2104 gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual
gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig mailcap nntp
gnus-cache debug network-stream nsm starttls mailalias smtpmail qp
character-fold misearch multi-isearch pp shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug
sendmail epa-file epa derived auth-source cl-seq eieio byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cl-extra cconv eieio-core cl-macs gv sieve sieve-mode
sieve-manage password-cache nnir gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo
gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source tls gnutls utf7 netrc
parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message idna dired format-spec
rfc822 mml mml-sec epg epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader gnus-win gnus gnus-ems wid-edit nnoo nnheader gnus-util
mm-util help-fns help-mode easymenu cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib mail-prsvr
mail-utils time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 249709 100432)
 (symbols 48 62403 1430)
 (miscs 40 380 1101)
 (strings 32 90179 6789)
 (string-bytes 1 2613215)
 (vectors 16 32996)
 (vector-slots 8 1443079 178188)
 (floats 8 581 1820)
 (intervals 56 3303 914)
 (buffers 976 131)
 (heap 1024 79112 59409))