Subject: bug#23341: x-show-tip does not respect the value of tooltip-hide-delay, and the default tooltip timeout isn't configurable

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2016 10:40:20 +0200

> Isn't that one more burden that we impose on package developers for
 > essentially no good reason? Also. what do you mean by "use the value
 > by default"? Do you mean to initialize a defcustom? That won't work:
 > changing the value of tooltip-hied-delay would not update that of the
 > corresponding defcustom. Or do you mean that all packages using
 > tooltips should explicitly pass a hide-delay argument to pos-tip or
 > tooltip or x-show-tip, with that argument being (or
 > package-local-delay tooltip-hide-delay)? That sounds cumbersome and
 > error prone: if that's how we want things done, why is the delay
 > argument optional?

Package ‘foo’ would evaluate the value of ‘foo-tooltip-hide-delay’
which, by default, should yield the value ‘tooltip-hide-delay’ evaluates
to unless the user has customized ‘foo-tooltip-hide-delay’.  That value
should be passed by ‘foo’ to ‘x-show-tip’.  If you can think of a better
solution with less surprising results for the user please tell me.

 > In any case, do we gain anything from hardcoding 5 as the default?

As Eli expained elsewhere this is an internal value which, ideally, is
never used.  And I fully share everything Eli said on this subject.

martin