Subject: bug#2334: 23.0.90; emacs-snapshot has ugly fonts when using set-default-font elisp function

From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 08:48:45 -0500

Kenichi Handa <[email-masked]> writes:

> I at first want to figure out why the above two methods for
> seting a font are different.  At least, I can't reproduce
> the difference.  Can you?  When I have "dejavu sans mono"
> fonts both for fontconfig and X as below, both methods set
> the default font to X font.

I do see this bug.

I have 'Emacs.Font: Monospace 9' in my .Xresources file.  With
`emacs -Q', C-u C-x = reports the font as

    xft:-unknown-DejaVu Sans
    Mono-normal-normal-normal-*-12-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1 (#x1E)

If I then do

 M-: (modify-frame-parameters (selected-frame)
                              (list (cons 'font "DejaVu Sans Mono 9")))

the font becomes non-antialised, and C-u C-x = reports

    x:-dejavu-dejavu sans
    mono-medium-r-normal--12-87-100-100-m-70-iso8859-1 (#x3B)

My results for fc-list and xlsfonts are the same as yours.