Subject: bug#23338: closed (Re: bug#23338: 25.0.92; auto-revert-buffers errors)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 16 May 2016 18:53:02 +0000

Your bug report

#23338: 25.0.92; auto-revert-buffers errors

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
23338: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=23338
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#23338: 25.0.92; auto-revert-buffers errors
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: Live System User <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 May 2016 20:40:19 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 25.1

Live System User <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi,

Hi,

>>>> Error running timer ‘auto-revert-buffers’: (wrong-type-argument
>>>> number-or-marker-p nil) [108 times]
>>>
>>> First, pls upgrade Emacs 25.0.92. There have been changes in
>>> autorevert.el recently, which might be related.
>>
>> Ping.
>
> I recently upgraded to GNU Emacs 25.0.93.1 and have not seen this bug.

Thanks. So I regard this bug as solved, closing it.

> However, when trying to send this message using Gnus, the prompt
> briefly showed in the echo area asking me for my email password
> but was immediately covered over with:
>
>           Reverting buffer ‘wpa_supplicant.log’.
>
> so that I could no longer see the passwoed prompt.  I almost missed
> seeing the password prompt.

Well, this is Emacs behaviour. New messages could hide minibuffer prompts.
It isn't specific to auto-revert-mode.

> I had to type a key (I typed the "?" key) and then could see the
> password prompt.

You could use any key, even a key which is not consumed as input. I take
the <left> or <right> key in such cases.

> Ordinarily, I never see the "Reverting buffer..." message.  In
> fact, I just turned off my WiFi as an experiment and didn't see the
>
>            Reverting buffer ‘wpa_supplicant.log’.
>
> message in the echo area.

It depends on your activities. As soon as you type any key, the message
disappears.

> But when I `switch-to-buffer' to the *Messages* buffer, I could see
> the "Revert buffer" message.
>
> So it appears that this "Revert buffer..." message only appeared
> for me because the echo area was engaged in prompting for a password
> but, unfortunately, it was occluded by the "Revert buffer..." message.
>
> Is there a way to prevent this?

There is auto-revert-verbose. Set it to nil, and the message does not
appears, neither in the echo area, nor in the *Messages* buffer.

> Thanks.

Best regards, Michael.

Subject: 25.0.92; auto-revert-buffers errors
From: Live System User <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2016 01:38:41 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

In my environment, I see the following error:

Error running timer ‘auto-revert-buffers’: (wrong-type-argument
number-or-marker-p nil) [108 times]

How does one go about debugging this?

Thanks.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.92.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.7)
 of 2016-03-03 built on copr-builder-919644472.novalocal
Windowing system distributor 'Fedora Project', version 11.0.11799901
Configured using:
 'configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
 --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
 --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
 --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png
 --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xft --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --with-gpm=no build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -g
 -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 -fexceptions -fstack-protector-strong --param=ssp-buffer-size=4
 -grecord-gcc-switches -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1
 -m64 -mtune=generic' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Wrote /home/liveuser/.newsrc
Saving /home/liveuser/.newsrc...done
Saving /home/liveuser/.newsrc.eld...
Saving file /home/liveuser/.newsrc.eld...
Wrote /home/liveuser/.newsrc.eld
Saving /home/liveuser/.newsrc.eld...done
Type C-x 1 to delete the help window.
uncompressing cl-seq.el.gz...done
Note: file is write protected
Mark saved where search started

Load-path shadows:
~/.emacs.d/lisp/ntlm hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/net/ntlm

Features:
(eieio-opt speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe find-func thingatpt
jka-compr noutline outline easy-mmode view kmacro two-column iso-transl
gnus-cite smiley ansi-color shr-color color url-util url-parse url-vars
shr seq dom subr-x browse-url mm-archive gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-ml
disp-table cursor-sensor nndraft nnmh nndoc nnfolder utf-7 rfc2104
gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art
mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig mailcap nntp gnus-cache debug
network-stream nsm starttls mailalias smtpmail qp character-fold
misearch multi-isearch pp shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail
epa-file epa derived auth-source cl-seq eieio byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cl-extra cconv eieio-core cl-macs gv sieve sieve-mode
sieve-manage password-cache nnir gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo
gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source tls gnutls utf7 netrc
parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message idna dired format-spec
rfc822 mml mml-sec epg epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader gnus-win gnus gnus-ems wid-edit nnoo nnheader gnus-util
mm-util help-fns help-mode easymenu cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib mail-prsvr
mail-utils time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 233991 75812)
 (symbols 48 31446 1101)
 (miscs 40 303 984)
 (strings 32 58638 34238)
 (string-bytes 1 1623908)
 (vectors 16 32901)
 (vector-slots 8 1438681 181564)
 (floats 8 576 1186)
 (intervals 56 2565 692)
 (buffers 976 78)
 (heap 1024 68581 22788))