Subject: bug#23337: grep-2.25 released [stable]

From: Jim Meyering <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2016 22:23:24 -0700

This is to announce grep-2.25, a stable release.
Yet another bug-fix release. This one was prompted
primarily by the realization that even with LC_ALL=C,
grep-2.24 could still report "Binary file F matches".

Special thanks to Paul Eggert for doing so much of
the work, and to Assaf Gordon for his patch to make
grep diagnose errors more precisely.

There have been 15 commits by 2 people in the 6 weeks since 2.24.
See the NEWS below for a brief summary.

Jim [on behalf of the grep maintainers]
==================================================================

Here is the GNU grep home page:
    http://gnu.org/s/grep/

For a summary of changes and contributors, see:
  http://git.sv.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=grep.git;a=shortlog;h=v2.25
or run this command from a git-cloned grep directory:
  git shortlog v2.24..v2.25

To summarize the 55 gnulib-related changes, run these commands
from a git-cloned grep directory:
  git checkout v2.25
  git submodule summary v2.24

Here are the compressed sources and a GPG detached signature[*]:
  http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/grep/grep-2.25.tar.xz
  http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/grep/grep-2.25.tar.xz.sig

Use a mirror for higher download bandwidth:
  http://ftpmirror.gnu.org/grep/grep-2.25.tar.xz
  http://ftpmirror.gnu.org/grep/grep-2.25.tar.xz.sig

[*] Use a .sig file to verify that the corresponding file (without the
.sig suffix) is intact.  First, be sure to download both the .sig file
and the corresponding tarball.  Then, run a command like this:

  gpg --verify grep-2.25.tar.xz.sig

If that command fails because you don't have the required public key,
then run this command to import it:

  gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-keys 7FD9FCCB000BEEEE

and rerun the 'gpg --verify' command.

This release was bootstrapped with the following tools:
  Autoconf 2.69.147-5ad35
  Automake 1.99a
  Gnulib v0.1-752-gb7bc3c1

NEWS

* Noteworthy changes in release 2.25 (2016-04-21) [stable]

** Bug fixes

  In the C or POSIX locale, grep now treats all bytes as valid
  characters even if the C runtime library says otherwise.  The
  revised behavior is more compatible with the original intent of
  POSIX, and the next release of POSIX will likely make this official.
  [bug introduced in grep-2.23]

  grep -Pz no longer mistakenly diagnoses patterns like [^a] that use
  negated character classes. [bug introduced in grep-2.24]

  grep -oz now uses null bytes, not newlines, to terminate output lines.
  [bug introduced in grep-2.5]

** Improvements

  grep now outputs details more consistently when reporting a write error.
  E.g., "grep: write error: No space left on device" rather than just
  "grep: write error".

also posted as:
  https://savannah.gnu.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=8523