Subject: Re: bug#23292: 24.5; Combining characters do not reliably combine

From: Alexis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2016 19:03:15 +1000

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Alexis <[email-masked]> Cc: [email-masked], 
>> [email-masked] Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2016 18:17:48 +1000
>> 
>> 
>> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>> > No.  Type 'o', then "C-x 8 RET 337".
>> 
>> Done. i get the same result as the OP - i.e. the 'o' and the 
>> '/'  are visually separated - using both DejaVu Sans Mono 
>> (Book) and  Inconsolata-G (my default font).

My apologies, i accidentally used a non -Q instance to test 
this. :-/ In a -Q instance, it turns out that DejaVu Sans Mono 
(Book) /does/ compose visually:

Composed with the following character(s) "̷" using this font: 
  xft:-unknown-DejaVu Sans 
  Mono-normal-normal-normal-*-13-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1 
by these glyphs: 
  [0 1 111 82 8 0 8 8 1 nil] [0 1 823 703 0 0 8 8 1 [-8 0 0]] 

Sorry!

However, Inconsolata-g definitely doesn't compose visually.

Interestingly, when i use `describe-char' on the 'o', i'm told 
that the glyph is sourced from Inconsolata-g, but when i use it on 
the '/', it tells me it's sourced from Gentium ....