Subject: bug#23276: 25.0.92; Crash in auto-revert when file no longer present

From: Anders Lindgren <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2016 22:56:41 +0200

>
> And I still am not convinced that deleting a file under auto-revert
> shouldn't erase its buffer.  Otherwise, it sounds like just
> half-auto-revert to me.  Would we keep the buffer non-empty if the
> file existed but was empty?
>

When I originally wrote auto-revert mode I decided that Emacs should not
clear a buffer when the corresponding file was removed, as a safeguard
against a file accidentally being removed. Today, I still think that is the
correct way to handle this situation.

The current patch handles a special case when the file is removed after it
has been decided that it should be reverted, but right before the actual
revert -- it should be treated just like a normal file delete.

I think disabling auto-revert mode is not correct way to handle this -- the
file might be temporary removed by, say, a version control system and might
reappear a moment later, in which case we want it to be reverted into Emacs.

    -- Anders