Subject: bug#23234: unexpected results with charset handling in GNU grep 2.23

From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2016 15:09:17 -0700

On 04/10/2016 02:59 PM, Zev Weiss wrote:
> I still have my multithreading patch series 
> (https://github.com/zevweiss/grep/) awaiting review, which I'd hope to 
> get applied at some point, though I'd guess it's enough of a review 
> task that delaying an impending release for it isn't likely (the 
> mbtoupper()-removal patch made that series one patch shorter though, 
> since one was to deal with that function's thread-unsafety).  I've 
> been rebasing it periodically and running it on my own system in 
> /usr/local without any problems for a while now, for what that's worth.
>
> With current HEAD from savannah though, all check-very-expensive tests 
> pass for me on Debian stretch with gcc 5.3, glibc 2.22, and Linux 
> kernel 4.3.

Thanks for pinging us about this. Sorry, I kind of dropped the ball on 
this one. I will try to bump its priority. There are some other 
long-pending patches that also need review. I agree that these shouldn't 
delay the next release, but perhaps it could delay the release after 
that....