Subject: Re: bug#23223: 25.0.92; Can xref-find-references be sped up?

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 21:49:14 +0300

Version: 25.1

On 04/12/2016 06:50 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> LGTM, please push.

Done, and closing.

> Btw, I noticed another strange thing, but I was only able to reproduce
> it with the current version, before your patch: the set of results
> returned by xref-find-references, when it uses IDUtils, is not
> entirely repeatable.  Sometimes, a few matches, sometimes a few dozen
> of them, are missing.  I have no idea why; the lid command
> consistently returns the same number of lines each time I invoke it.

That sounds troubling. Please report if you encounter this again, 
together with: do you get different results when immediately repeating 
the same search? Or do you search from different files, in different 
directories?

Getting different results between searches from c-mode and 
emacs-lisp-mode is to be expected, because the latter searches in all 
load-path as well (and it ends up using Grep in most of those 
directories anyway).

>semantic-symref-filepattern-alist is defined in and used by
>> semantic/symref/grep.el. We can add (lisp-interaction-mode "*.el") to it.
>
> I think we should do that, yes.

Also done (with a slightly longer value).