Subject: bug#23219: 25.0.92; Find command cannot be customized for grep-find

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2016 23:37:38 +0300

On one of my machines, the GNU Find utility's executable file is named
'gfind'.  To have xref-collect-matches work, I customized
grep-find-command to have the value "gfind", but the find-grep pipe
used after that still tried to invoke 'find', not 'gfind'.  Looking
around, I see that grep-compute-defaults effectively ignores
grep-find-command and uses the value of find-program instead.  Now,
find-program is a defvar, so it wasn't supposed to be customized.  Its
value is never changed, no matter what are your customizations.

How am I supposed to make this stuff work in this situation?  If the
solution is to poke find-program, it should be defcustom, and I
shouldn't need to customize 2 variables to begin with.  Why isn't
find-program get the value from grep-find-command?  Am I missing
something?

In GNU Emacs 25.0.92.75 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2016-04-04 built on HOME-C4E4A596F7
Repository revision: f501116ea896b20f195f5c841e8770d7fe0418b9
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/d/usr --enable-checking=yes,glyphs --with-wide-int
 --with-modules 'CFLAGS=-O0 -gdwarf-4 -g3''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS MODULES

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1255

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message dired format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec password-cache epg epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util help-fns help-mode easymenu
cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date mule-util
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table w32-win w32-vars term/common-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote w32notify w32 multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 93260 6213)
 (symbols 56 20721 0)
 (miscs 48 36 128)
 (strings 16 17748 6507)
 (string-bytes 1 439920)
 (vectors 16 12405)
 (vector-slots 8 429730 4395)
 (floats 8 162 88)
 (intervals 40 261 118)
 (buffers 856 11))