Subject: 25.1.50; find-file is noisy

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2016 21:16:10 +0200

>From -Q, open "/tmp/foo.txt", put the string "quimby.gnus.org" into the
buffer, save it, and then type `C-x C-f M-n' (which is what you'd
usually do to revert the buffer).

The following error is signalled:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-error "make client process failed" "Connection refused" :name "ffap-machine-p" :buffer nil :host "quimby.gnus.org" :service "discard" :nowait nil :tls-parameters nil)
  signal(file-error ("make client process failed" "Connection refused" :name "ffap-machine-p" :buffer nil :host "quimby.gnus.org" :service "discard" :nowait nil :tls-parameters nil))
  ffap-machine-p("quimby.gnus.org")
  ffap-machine-at-point()
  ffap-guesser()
  ffap-guess-file-name-at-point()
  run-hook-with-args-until-success(ffap-guess-file-name-at-point)
  read-file-name--defaults("/tmp/" nil)
  #[0 "r\302\303 !q\210\304\301\300\")\207" [nil "/tmp/" window-buffer minibuffer-selected-window read-file-name--defaults] 3]()
  goto-history-element(-1)
  next-history-element(1)
  funcall-interactively(next-history-element 1)
  call-interactively(next-history-element nil nil)
  command-execute(next-history-element)
  read-from-minibuffer("Find file read-only: " "/tmp/" (keymap (keymap (32)) keymap (10 . minibuffer-complete-and-exit) (13 . minibuffer-complete-and-exit) keymap (menu-bar keymap (minibuf "Minibuf" keymap (tab menu-item "Complete" minibuffer-complete :help "Complete as far as possible") (space menu-item "Complete Word" minibuffer-complete-word :help "Complete at most one word") (63 menu-item "List Completions" minibuffer-completion-help :help "Display all possible completions") "Minibuf")) (27 keymap (118 . switch-to-completions)) (prior . switch-to-completions) (63 . minibuffer-completion-help) (32 . minibuffer-complete-word) (9 . minibuffer-complete) keymap (menu-bar keymap (minibuf "Minibuf" keymap (previous menu-item "Previous History Item" previous-history-element :help "Put previous minibuffer history element in the minibuffer") (next menu-item "Next History Item" next-history-element :help "Put next minibuffer history element in the minibuffer") (isearch-backward menu-item "Isearch History Backward" isearch-backward :help "Incrementally search minibuffer history backward") (isearch-forward menu-item "Isearch History Forward" isearch-forward :help "Incrementally search minibuffer history forward") (return menu-item "Enter" exit-minibuffer :key-sequence "" :help "Terminate input and exit minibuffer") (quit menu-item "Quit" abort-recursive-edit :help "Abort input and exit minibuffer") "Minibuf")) (10 . exit-minibuffer) (13 . exit-minibuffer) (7 . abort-recursive-edit) (C-tab . file-cache-minibuffer-complete) (9 . self-insert-command) (XF86Back . previous-history-element) (up . previous-line-or-history-element) (prior . previous-history-element) (XF86Forward . next-history-element) (down . next-line-or-history-element) (next . next-history-element) (27 keymap (114 . previous-matching-history-element) (115 . next-matching-history-element) (112 . previous-history-element) (110 . next-history-element))) nil file-name-history "/tmp/" nil)
  completing-read-default("Find file read-only: " read-file-name-internal file-exists-p confirm-after-completion "/tmp/" file-name-history "/tmp/" nil)
  completing-read("Find file read-only: " read-file-name-internal file-exists-p confirm-after-completion "/tmp/" file-name-history "/tmp/")
  read-file-name-default("Find file read-only: " nil "/tmp/" confirm-after-completion nil nil)
  read-file-name("Find file read-only: " nil "/tmp/" confirm-after-completion)
  find-file-read-args("Find file read-only: " confirm-after-completion)
  byte-code("\300\301\302 \"\207" [find-file-read-args "Find file read-only: " confirm-nonexistent-file-or-buffer] 3)
  call-interactively(find-file-read-only nil nil)
  command-execute(find-file-read-only)

In GNU Emacs 25.1.50.23 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.4.2)
 of 2016-04-03 built on stories
Repository revision: f7c5f79ca565d3ef3feeb1e0af5ca261f1bcf58a
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11204000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux 7.9 (wheezy)

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GSETTINGS NOTIFY GNUTLS
LIBXML2 FREETYPE LIBOTF XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US
  locale-coding-system: iso-latin-1-unix

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  gnus-agent-group-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  gnus-topic-mode: t
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent messages:
Regenerating in nnimap+hermes.netfonds.no:misc
nnimap read 0k from hermes.netfonds.no
Sending...done
Saving file /home/larsi/.newsrc...
Wrote /home/larsi/.newsrc
Saving /home/larsi/.newsrc.eld...
Saving file /home/larsi/.newsrc.eld...
Wrote /home/larsi/.newsrc.eld
Saving /home/larsi/.newsrc.eld...done
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
/home/larsi/src/clock.el/clock hides /home/larsi/lisp/clock
/home/larsi/src/cddb.el/expect hides /home/larsi/lisp/expect
/home/larsi/src/pvr.el/pvr hides /home/larsi/lisp/pvr
~/pgnus/contrib/vcard hides /home/larsi/lisp/vcard
/home/larsi/src/cddb.el/captitle hides /home/larsi/lisp/captitle
~/lisp/zenirc-2.112/src/zenirc-example hides /home/larsi/lisp/zenirc-example
/home/larsi/lisp/dom hides /home/larsi/src/emacs/trunk/lisp/dom
~/pgnus/contrib/compface hides /home/larsi/src/emacs/trunk/lisp/image/compface

Features:
(vc-annotate ffap cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles
cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs edebug sgml-mode tramp-cache tramp
tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver ucs-normalize advice server canlock
whitespace flow-fill pp shadow emacsbug info pulse xref project misearch
multi-isearch eieio-opt speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe find-func
mailalias smtpmail sendmail ecomplete eww shr-color color qp gnus-html
help-fns url-queue url-cache mm-archive vc vc-dispatcher vc-git
diff-mode copyright vc-cvs shell pcomplete thingatpt grep compile comint
ring map gnus-picon sort smiley ansi-color gnus-cite gnus-async gnus-dup
gnus-ml gmane spam-gmane dns mm-url disp-table gnus-fun gnus-mdrtn pop3
nndoc nnmbox nndraft utf-7 gnus-topic nnmh nnml nnfolder network-stream
nsm starttls nnir spam-report spam spam-stat gnus-uu yenc gnus-agent
gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu
mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig nntp gnus-cache gnus-sum gnus-group
gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc
nnoo parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message format-spec rfc822
mml mml-sec epa epg mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus
nnheader gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mail-utils movie mkv shr svg
imdb dom pvr debug debbugs-gnu easy-mmode derived debbugs soap-client
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode url-http tls gnutls url-auth mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums url-gw puny url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util
mailcap warnings rng-xsd rng-dt rng-util xsd-regexp xml ido seq flyspell
ispell benchmark w3m browse-url doc-view subr-x dired dired-loaddefs
image-mode timezone w3m-hist w3m-fb w3m-ems wid-edit w3m-ccl ccl
w3m-favicon w3m-image w3m-proc w3m-util add-log mail-extr mm-util
mail-prsvr jka-compr cl finder-inf package epg-config url-handlers
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile
cl-extra help-mode easymenu cconv eieio-core cl-macs gv eieio-loaddefs
cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib password-cache url-vars time-date mule-util
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame
cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1698588 351707)
 (symbols 48 176307 90)
 (miscs 40 1186 4547)
 (strings 32 300479 38444)
 (string-bytes 1 22439678)
 (vectors 16 71539)
 (vector-slots 8 2068565 151046)
 (floats 8 7503 6734)
 (intervals 56 168373 6818)
 (buffers 976 145)
 (heap 1024 237856 68317))

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no