Subject: bug#23193: Cannot enable logout button in GNOME

From: Chris Marusich <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2016 14:03:30 -0700

Hi,

I'm using GuixSD v0.10.0.  The default GNOME installation does not have
the "log out" button enabled by default.  I've heard that this is the
new default in GNOME, so it's probably not an issue we need to fix.
However, I cannot seem to enable it at all.

My understanding is that you should be able to enable the "log out"
button with a command like the following:

gsettings set org.gnome.shell always-show-log-out true

I've tried this.  Even though running

gsettings get org.gnome.shell always-show-log-out

shows that the setting was stored as 'true' (even after rebooting), the
"log out" button does not get displayed when I log into GNOME.  Maybe
I'm looking in the wrong spot: I expected to find it near the "tools"
and "power" buttons, which are located in the menu that appears when you
click on the upper right corner of the GUI.

How can I enable the logout button in GNOME?

-- 
Chris