Subject: Re: bug#23186: 25.0.92; Tramp: Windows does not always set COMSPEC, tramp blows up in a string-match

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2016 09:05:04 +0200

Jerry Asher <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Jerry,

[sorry for the slow response, I'm fighting with bronchitis these days]

> Since the two of you have decided that a verbose warning is all that
> is required to satisfy the problems THESE people are reporting and
> have reported for years, since you have decided that assigning a
> guaranteed bad value is better than setting a mostly correct value,

It would be helpful if you don't take any statement from us as personal
attack. We don't attack you, we are just slightly demotivated by your
sound. I don't know what's the style somewhere else, but here in Emacs
development we behave respectful. This does not mean that everything is
accepted when you propose something, and it could happen that a proposal
is rejected, but it is *your* responsibility then to convince us. Not
all of us are idiots.

Coming back to the proposal: Emacs 25.1 is frozen, I won't apply serious
changes there. That's why both Eli and me have agreed to detect the
problem and report, and nothing else.

But this wouldn't prevent us from finding a better solution for further
Emacs version, if possible.

Best regards, Michael.