Subject: bug#23186: 25.0.92; Tramp: Windows does not always set COMSPEC, tramp blows up in a string-match

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2016 21:37:51 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Regardless, I would say the assumption that COMSPEC is always set
>> and so therefore if it fails it is okay to
>> assign nil to tramp-encoding-shell knowing that later on it will be
>> in a string-match is problematic in and of
>> itself. 
>
> Tramp is designed to work with Emacs as released by the Emacs
> development team.  That Emacs doesn't have this problem.  I think it
> would be unreasonable for anyone to expect the Tramp maintainers to
> cater to arbitrary changes in the Emacs code or in how it is
> configured on Windows, let alone if you poke some addresses in the PE
> headers of the produced binary.

The Tramp maintainers could check, whether COMSPEC is set, and raise a
verbose warning in case it isn't. Refusing further work.

Shall I commit this to the emacs-25 branch, or to master?

Best regards, Michael.