Subject: bug#23184: 25.0.92; User-friendly way to override doc-view-mode as MIME viewer

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 18:05:41 +0200

Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]> writes:

> I've just pushed the proposed change plus an addition to the Emacs
> MIME manual.  I'm closing this bug now.

Thanks.  Works well for me, and the doc also looks good.

I think what Teemu means is that this solution doesn't allow to say:
"for pdf, don't use docview, use the viewer as defined in the user's
mailcap file".  One has to speak out the viewer's name, so there are two
places to change when the user changes his mind about which is his
preferred viewer (mailcap file and emacs customization).

We could allow something like (viewer . system) in
`mailcap-user-mime-data' which would mean, more or less: consult
`mailcap-mime-data' but skip any internal viewers.  Does that make
sense?

Anyway, this change is already a big win; hard to believe that until now
there has not been any defcustom for mime types.

Regards,

Michael.