Subject: bug#23184: closed (Re: bug#23184: 25.0.92; User-friendly way to override doc-view-mode as MIME viewer)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2016 17:00:03 +0000

Your bug report

#23184: 25.0.92; User-friendly way to override doc-view-mode as MIME viewer

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
23184: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=23184
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#23184: 25.0.92; User-friendly way to override doc-view-mode as MIME viewer
From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
To: Teemu Likonen <[email-masked]>
Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2016 18:59:34 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Teemu and Eli,

I've just pushed the proposed change plus an addition to the Emacs MIME
manual.  I'm closing this bug now.

Bye,
Tassilo

Subject: 25.0.92; User-friendly way to override doc-view-mode as MIME viewer
From: Teemu Likonen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2016 10:49:12 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This is a wish list issue.

Emacs has mailcap-mime-data variable which is used to decide how various
contents are displayed. The variable is (or seems to be) bootstrapped
from operating system's mailcap configuration but Emacs overrides some
parts of it with (viewer . doc-view-mode) or (viewer . pdf-view-mode).

Not all users want to use doc-view-mode for displaying mime contents. I
wish there was an easy way to not use doc-view-mode or to move its
priority to the bottom of the viewer list. Currently I use this hack to
get completely rid of doc-view-mode:

(with-eval-after-load 'mailcap
  (require 'cl-lib)
  (setq mailcap-mime-data
        (mapcar (lambda (major)
                  (cons (car major)
                        (cl-remove-if
                         (lambda (minor)
                           (cl-some
                            (lambda (x)
                              (and (eq 'viewer (car x))
                                   (cl-member (cdr x) '(doc-view-mode
                                                        pdf-view-mode))))
                            (cdr minor)))
                         (cdr major))))
                mailcap-mime-data)))

In GNU Emacs 25.0.92.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.14.5)
 of 2016-03-29 built on mithlond
Repository revision: 06495c96ae0f5a0fa1d56f47750624138f80cb94
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11604000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux 8.3 (jessie)

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/home/dtw/local --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --with-xwidgets --with-wide-int'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS NOTIFY
GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
GTK3 X11 XWIDGETS

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: C
  value of $LANG: fi_FI.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=none
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  gnus-topic-mode: t
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
~/.emacs.d/omat/elisp/loaddefs hides /home/dtw/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/loaddefs

Features:
(shadow nnir emacsbug sendmail ielm vc vc-dispatcher paredit misearch
multi-isearch dired-aux bookmark qp flow-fill mm-archive vc-git
diff-mode sort gnus-cite mail-extr gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-ml
disp-table gnus-topic nndraft nnmh imap utf-7 epa-file epa
network-stream nsm auth-source starttls nnml nnmbox nnnil gnus-agent
gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu
mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig mailcap nntp gnus-cache
gnus-bogofilter gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud
nnimap nnmail mail-source tls gnutls utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message dired format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec password-cache epg mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
gnus-win gnus gnus-ems nnheader gnus-util mail-utils mm-util help-fns
mail-prsvr wid-edit ido seq undo-tree diff paren winner rx slime-fancy
slime-trace-dialog slime-fontifying-fu slime-package-fu slime-references
slime-compiler-notes-tree slime-scratch slime-presentations advice
bridge slime-mdot-fu slime-enclosing-context slime-fuzzy
slime-fancy-trace slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c
slime-editing-commands slime-autodoc slime-repl elp slime-parse slime
derived gud apropos compile etags xref cl-seq project eieio byte-opt
bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra help-mode cconv eieio-core arc-mode
archive-mode noutline outline easy-mmode pp comint ansi-color ring
hyperspec cl-macs thingatpt browse-url cl gv slime-autoloads edmacro
kmacro cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib finder-inf tex-site info package
easymenu epg-config server time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
xwidget-internal move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 365872 33679)
 (symbols 48 42316 0)
 (miscs 40 409 620)
 (strings 32 86104 6555)
 (string-bytes 1 2641019)
 (vectors 16 41398)
 (vector-slots 8 1502103 214153)
 (floats 8 544 688)
 (intervals 56 837 207)
 (buffers 976 52)
 (heap 1024 91844 26157))
<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>