Subject: bug#23170: [PATCH shepherd] Restart dependent services on service restart

From: Carlo Zancanaro <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2018 22:42:40 +1000

On Mon, Aug 27 2018, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> I see that you also reverted the patch that removed the 
> ‘EINTR-safe’ workaround.  Could you explain why that was 
> necessary?  (It should not be necessary with current Guile 
> versions.)

I'm not really sure of the details, but as I mentioned on IRC, 
that commit stopped me from being able to boot. I grafted a new 
version of the Shepherd and reconfigured my system, and when it 
came up my screen was filled with messages complaining that it 
couldn't create things in /dev because they already existed. I 
tested the commits since the previous release and that was the one 
that caused my problem.

I'd like to investigate further, but I have no idea what could be 
causing it. All I have to go on so far is that I think the udev 
service is getting respawned repeatedly, but I don't know why that 
commit would cause that problem. After reverting that commit I 
could successfully boot back into my system and everything is 
working properly again.