Subject: bug#23170: [PATCH shepherd] Restart dependent services on service restart

From: Carlo Zancanaro <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2018 08:48:47 +1000

On Sun, Aug 26 2018, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> I wonder if there are cases where one might want to restart a 
> service without restarting its dependent services.  We can 
> probably ignore it for now, but perhaps we’ll need to add a flag 
> or a separate action later.
>
> Thoughts?

I think this is best served by 'herd stop', followed by 'herd 
start'. This patch just special-cases the 'restart' action, so 
manually stopping then starting a service will behave as the old 
restart used to.

> For clarity, should we do an explicit “herd stop test1” followed 
> by “herd start test1”?  I know it’s currently equivalent under 
> the hood, but it might be slightly clearer.  WDYT?

Hopefully the above also answers this, too. I did consider whether 
it was worth adding a test for 'herd stop' to make sure it still 
stops dependent services, and 'herd start' to make sure it doesn't 
start dependent services, but in the end I decided not to. I'm 
happy to send through another patch to test these cases, though, 
if you think it would be worthwhile.

Carlo