Subject: 24.5; 24.5.1 (i686-pc-ming32) other-window cannot take one argument

From: Guangran Kevin Zhu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2016 13:15:55 -0400

In the .emacs file, insert

(defun my-previous-window ()
  (interactive)
  (other-window -1))

Run this function and receive the following error message:

Wrong number of arguments: (lambda nil "Select the previous window."
(interactive) ((other-window) -1)), 3

This function runs as expected on GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2015-04-11 on LEG570
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/c/usr --host=i686-pc-mingw32'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Outline

Minor modes in effect:
  goto-address-mode: t
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  dired-omit-mode: 1
  global-ede-mode: t
  ede-minor-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: 1
  line-number-mode: 1
  transient-mark-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t
  view-mode: t

Recent messages:
Opening TLS connection to `www.wikipedia.org'...
Opening TLS connection with `gnutls-cli --insecure -p 443 www.wikipedia.org
'...failed
Opening TLS connection with `gnutls-cli --insecure -p 443 www.wikipedia.org
--protocols ssl3'...failed
Opening TLS connection with `openssl s_client -connect www.wikipedia.org:443
-no_ssl2 -ign_eof'...done
Opening TLS connection to `www.wikipedia.org'...done
Quit
Mark saved where search started [3 times]
View mode: type C-h for help, h for commands, q to quit.
Mark set
Mark saved where search started

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail goto-addr thingatpt view
mule-util parse-time network-stream starttls url-http tls url-gw
url-cache url-auth eww mm-url gnus gnus-ems nnheader url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf shr
etags browse-url url-util url-parse auth-source gnus-util password-cache
url-vars help-mode cc-langs cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs preview prv-emacs tex-buf
reftex-dcr reftex-auc reftex reftex-vars noutline outline font-latex
latex edmacro kmacro tex-style tex crm tex-mode compile latexenc
image-mode vc-dispatcher vc-svn sh-script smie executable bat-mode rect
matlab cl-macs shell pcomplete gud comint ansi-color derived tempo
vc-git perl-mode dired-aux ede/dired dired-x dired ede/emacs bookmark pp
misearch multi-isearch warnings ede/cpp-root ido google-c-style dbus xml
ede/speedbar ede/files ede ede/base ede/auto ede/source eieio-base
eieio-speedbar speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe eieio-custom eieio
byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra cconv eieio-core cedet psvn
wid-edit cl gv cl-loaddefs cl-lib log-edit message format-spec rfc822
mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils
mailheader ring pcvs-util add-log diff-mode easy-mmode easymenu extview
advice help-fns mailcap preview-latex tex-site auto-loads time-date
tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
dos-w32 ls-lisp w32-common-fns disp-table w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
w32notify w32 multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 506599 30284)
 (symbols 32 37761 0)
 (miscs 32 581 3722)
 (strings 16 85260 7665)
 (string-bytes 1 2225646)
 (vectors 8 29632)
 (vector-slots 4 659767 23410)
 (floats 8 180 326)
 (intervals 28 43106 351)
 (buffers 508 75))