Subject: Re: bug#23151: 25.1.50; Emacs should have a convenient command for saving unchanged buffers

From: Óscar Fuentes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 17:40:22 +0200

Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]> writes:

> Óscar Fuentes <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> a safe method of forcing Emacs to save the file without altering the
>> buffer's content.
>
> Two methods were already presented in this thread.

Someone mentioned C-u C-x C-w, which shows a prompt where you are
supposed to write the file name of the buffer you are visiting. If you
type the wrong file name, hopefully you will notice the mistake before
creating too much damage.

This is not a safe method.

Other mentioned C-u M-~ (which actually should be C-u M-~ C-x C-s).
Apart from being a long finger-twisting sequence, M-~ is impossible to
type on some keyboards where ~ is written as AltGr-~, or difficult in
some input methods, where ~ is a dead key.

This is not convenient.

The char&del C-x C-s method is popular because Emacs does not offer
something better out of the box. It is about time that Emacs provides an
intuitive (as per Emacs standards), convenient and safe method for doing
that task.