Subject: bug#23146: closed (Re: bug#23146: grep 2.24: tests broken with --program-prefix)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2016 17:26:02 +0000

Your bug report

#23146: grep 2.24: tests broken with --program-prefix

which was filed against the grep package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
23146: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=23146
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#23146: grep 2.24: tests broken with --program-prefix
From: Jim Meyering <[email-masked]>
To: Christian Weisgerber <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2016 10:25:13 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 2:21 PM, Christian Weisgerber
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> In GNU grep 2.24 and earlier, the regression tests
>
>   help-version
>   reversed-range-endpoints
>
> fail if grep is built with a program prefix (I use --program-prefix=g).
>
> ---------- help-version.log ----------
> /usr/obj/ggrep-2.24/grep-2.24/tests/../src/egrep[2]: ggrep: not found
> /usr/obj/ggrep-2.24/grep-2.24/tests/../src/egrep[2]: ggrep: not found
> /usr/obj/ggrep-2.24/grep-2.24/tests/../src/fgrep[2]: ggrep: not found
> /usr/obj/ggrep-2.24/grep-2.24/tests/../src/fgrep[2]: ggrep: not found
> /usr/obj/ggrep-2.24/grep-2.24/tests/../src/egrep[2]: ggrep: not found
> /usr/obj/ggrep-2.24/grep-2.24/tests/../src/egrep[2]: ggrep: not found
> /usr/obj/ggrep-2.24/grep-2.24/tests/../src/fgrep[2]: ggrep: not found
> /usr/obj/ggrep-2.24/grep-2.24/tests/../src/fgrep[2]: ggrep: not found
> /usr/obj/ggrep-2.24/grep-2.24/tests/../src/egrep[2]: ggrep: not found
> /usr/obj/ggrep-2.24/grep-2.24/tests/../src/egrep[2]: ggrep: not found
> /usr/obj/ggrep-2.24/grep-2.24/tests/../src/fgrep[2]: ggrep: not found
> /usr/obj/ggrep-2.24/grep-2.24/tests/../src/fgrep[2]: ggrep: not found
> /usr/obj/ggrep-2.24/grep-2.24/tests/../src/egrep[2]: ggrep: not found
> FAIL: egrep
> /usr/obj/ggrep-2.24/grep-2.24/tests/../src/fgrep[2]: ggrep: not found
> FAIL: fgrep
> FAIL help-version (exit status: 1)
>
> ---------- reversed-range-endpoints.log ----------
> --- exp Mon Mar 28 22:46:48 2016
> +++ out Mon Mar 28 22:46:48 2016
> @@ -1 +1 @@
> -Invalid range end
> +/usr/obj/ggrep-2.24/grep-2.24/tests/../src/egrep[2]: ggrep: not found
> FAIL reversed-range-endpoints (exit status: 1)

Thanks for the report.
You should be able to cause "make check" to pass in that case
by creating a symlink for each classic name to its prefixed version, e.g.,

  cd src && for i in grep egrep fgrep; do ln -fs g$i $i; done

You're the first to report this, so for now, I'll simply mark this
issue as closed.
By the way, that reversed-range-endpoints test need not use egrep,
since it already tests 'grep -E', so I have fixed that.

Subject: grep 2.24: tests broken with --program-prefix
From: Christian Weisgerber <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2016 23:21:32 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

In GNU grep 2.24 and earlier, the regression tests

  help-version
  reversed-range-endpoints

fail if grep is built with a program prefix (I use --program-prefix=g).

---------- help-version.log ----------
/usr/obj/ggrep-2.24/grep-2.24/tests/../src/egrep[2]: ggrep: not found
/usr/obj/ggrep-2.24/grep-2.24/tests/../src/egrep[2]: ggrep: not found
/usr/obj/ggrep-2.24/grep-2.24/tests/../src/fgrep[2]: ggrep: not found
/usr/obj/ggrep-2.24/grep-2.24/tests/../src/fgrep[2]: ggrep: not found
/usr/obj/ggrep-2.24/grep-2.24/tests/../src/egrep[2]: ggrep: not found
/usr/obj/ggrep-2.24/grep-2.24/tests/../src/egrep[2]: ggrep: not found
/usr/obj/ggrep-2.24/grep-2.24/tests/../src/fgrep[2]: ggrep: not found
/usr/obj/ggrep-2.24/grep-2.24/tests/../src/fgrep[2]: ggrep: not found
/usr/obj/ggrep-2.24/grep-2.24/tests/../src/egrep[2]: ggrep: not found
/usr/obj/ggrep-2.24/grep-2.24/tests/../src/egrep[2]: ggrep: not found
/usr/obj/ggrep-2.24/grep-2.24/tests/../src/fgrep[2]: ggrep: not found
/usr/obj/ggrep-2.24/grep-2.24/tests/../src/fgrep[2]: ggrep: not found
/usr/obj/ggrep-2.24/grep-2.24/tests/../src/egrep[2]: ggrep: not found
FAIL: egrep
/usr/obj/ggrep-2.24/grep-2.24/tests/../src/fgrep[2]: ggrep: not found
FAIL: fgrep
FAIL help-version (exit status: 1)

---------- reversed-range-endpoints.log ----------
--- exp	Mon Mar 28 22:46:48 2016
+++ out	Mon Mar 28 22:46:48 2016
@@ -1 +1 @@
-Invalid range end
+/usr/obj/ggrep-2.24/grep-2.24/tests/../src/egrep[2]: ggrep: not found
FAIL reversed-range-endpoints (exit status: 1)

-- 
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          [email-masked]