Subject: bug#23144: shrinking windows with gtk 3.20

From: Ken Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2017 09:38:51 -0400

[I've removed Yaakov from the Cc.]

On 3/24/2017 9:24 AM, martin rudalics wrote:
>> Yaakov Selkowitz has pointed out that the fix for this bug on the
>> emacs-25 branch should have used the function gtk_check_version rather
>> than the macro GTK_CHECK_VERSION.  The function checks the version at
>> runtime, while the macro checks the version at build time.
>
>> The effect of using the macro is that the bug can suddenly show up
>> after a gtk update, and a rebuild of emacs with the new gtk is
>> required.
>
> gtkutil.c has 19 uses of GTK_CHECK_VERSION and none of the function.  So
> we probably should replace them all.  Bit of annoying.

Not necessarily.  I think the macro is probably TRT in many (most? all?) 
cases.  In the case at hand, the problem occurs only on the emacs-25 
branch, so I don't think we should worry about the other uses.

Ken