Subject: Re: bug#23144: shrinking windows with gtk 3.20

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2016 05:36:27 +0300

> Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2016 19:20:41 -0400
> From: Matthias Clasen <[email-masked]>
> Cc: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], 
> 	Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
> 
> > Could you perhaps describe what that call does in older versions of
> > GTK, and why it worked before, but not anymore?
> 
> Well, it seems that nobody on your side remembers the reason for why
> that particular xg_frame_resized call was added :-(

The developer who was our expert on GTK has stepped down.  That can
happen to any project, I think.

> It is not that xg_frame_resized doesn't work anymore with GTK 3.22. It
> just gets called at a time when the GdkWindow is not fully set up yet.
> The reason that that happens now is due to a)  to some subtle changes
> in the way GTK+ sets up windows initially and b) emacs poking directly
> at X events like MapNotify.

Thanks.  Is there a way of knowing when the GdkWindow is fully set up?