Subject: Re: shrinking windows with gtk 3.20

From: Matthias Clasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2016 11:19:00 -0400

On Sat, Apr 2, 2016 at 3:01 AM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

>>
>> Another possibility is to ask builders not to combine GTK+4 (or will
>> this be GTK+ 3.22? it's not clear), whenever it comes out, with Emacs 25
>> whenever it comes out; and to instead stick with GTK+ 3.20 or earlier
>> when building Emacs 25. If that's a reasonable request then the problem
>> goes away.
>
> Such a request, if we agree to that, should be in the form of
> configure rejecting GTK+4.  I don't believe in our ability to reach
> all of the package maintainers and convince them.
>
> But if we can find a reasonable fire escape without rejecting new
> versions of GTK, I think it would be a better alternative.

Thanks for the fix on master, Paul. I can confirm that it works fine
with GTK+ master.

We're not talking about GTK4 here. GTK+ master will be released as
3.22 in the fall. But I am getting reports about various other
problems that are caused by the reversal on the gtk-3-20 branch, so I
may have to put the problematic (for emacs) back in the 3.20 branch.

If you consider the patch too risky to put in the emacs 25 branch at
this point, an alternative might be to put a release note to inform
distributors about this incompatibility and point them at the commit,
so they can pick it up if they want to ship emacs 25 with gtk 3.20.