Subject: bug#23142: 25.1.50; Kind of duplicated lines in info TOC

From: Johan Claesson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2016 13:51:07 +0200

Hi,

Regarding the table-of-contents that is generated by typing T in
info.  Whenever there is a new level of sections the section name
is printed twice.  For example in the start of the elisp
manual "Introduction" and "Conventions" are duplicated (and the
second "Conventions" is not indented which disturbs the
readability):

Top::
Introduction::
Introduction
        Caveats::
        Lisp History::
        Conventions::
Conventions
                Some Terms::
                nil and t::
[...]

This is not a bug and the TOC have looked like this for quite some time.
I just think it would be easier to read the TOC without these extra
lines.

(Sometimes the first and second line for a section are not identical.
For example further down in the elisp manual there is "Cons Cell Type"
and "Cons Cell and List Types".  But to print both is too much
information for a table of contents.)

If it is ok to remove the second line it could be done in the function
Info-toc-insert by removing the lines which are commented below:

(defun Info-toc-insert (nodes node-list level curr-file)
  "Insert table of contents with references to nodes."
  ;; (let ((section "Top"))
    (while nodes
      (let ((node (assoc (car nodes) node-list)))
        ;; (unless (member (nth 2 node) (list nil section))
        ;; (insert (setq section (nth 2 node)) "\n"))
        (insert (make-string level ?\t))
        (insert "*Note " (car nodes) ":: \n")
        (Info-toc-insert (nth 3 node) node-list (1+ level) curr-file)
        (setq nodes (cdr nodes)))))

Or if these lines have to be there i think they should be indented:

(defun Info-toc-insert (nodes node-list level curr-file)
  "Insert table of contents with references to nodes."
  (let ((section "Top"))
    (while nodes
      (let ((node (assoc (car nodes) node-list))
            (indentation (make-string level ?\t)))
        (unless (member (nth 2 node) (list nil section))
          (insert indentation (setq section (nth 2 node)) "\n"))
        (insert indentation "*Note " (car nodes) ":: \n")
        (Info-toc-insert (nth 3 node) node-list (1+ level) curr-file)
        (setq nodes (cdr nodes))))))

Regards,

/Johan

In GNU Emacs 25.1.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit)
 of 2016-03-28 built on goblin
Repository revision: a30e7e12ed8465e2565dd318d921bc87f52ce18e
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11702000
System Description:	Ubuntu 15.10

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/ssd/home/jcl/usr --with-x-toolkit=lucid
 --without-toolkit-scroll-bars --disable-silent-rules
 --without-compress-install --enable-link-time-optimization
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/home/jcl/usr/lib/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XAW3D XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF
GSETTINGS NOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF
XFT ZLIB LUCID X11

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=none
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Text

Minor modes in effect:
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  num3-mode: t
  minibuffer-electric-default-mode: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  erc-list-mode: t
  erc-menu-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-networks-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-noncommands-mode: t
  erc-move-to-prompt-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  wc-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  which-function-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-layout-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  global-prettify-symbols-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  temp-buffer-resize-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-fill-function: do-auto-fill
  transient-mark-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Recent messages:
forward-sexp: Scan error: "Unbalanced parentheses", 927, 2063
Entering debugger...
Back to top level
Info-toc-insert
Mark set
forward-sexp: Scan error: "Unbalanced parentheses", 927, 2063
Quit
Mark set [4 times]
Quit
Mark set

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(nnir emacsbug two-column iso-transl w3m-cookie jcl-replace
jcl-games-init jcl-muse-init htmlize-hack htmlize muse-latex muse-html
muse-xml-common muse-colors cus-edit muse-publish muse-project
muse-protocols muse-regexps muse muse-nested-tags muse-mode
jcl-yaoddmuse-init yaoddmuse-extension yaoddmuse skeleton sgml-mode
shadow cus-start cus-load flow-fill smiley gnus-cite mail-extr
gnus-async nndoc gnus-dup tabify time-stamp misearch multi-isearch
eieio-opt speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe jcl-renegade-goblin
jcl-home-boot vc vc-dispatcher vc-git org-rmail org-mhe org-irc org-info
org-gnus org-docview org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org-w3m jcl-load
jcl-billboard-init typing-practice jcl-elisp-init profiler tagbag-init
jcl-grep-init jcl-abbrev-init jcl-ediff-init jcl-term-init
jcl-erlang-init jcl-sbg jcl-erlang-log bookmark jcl-erlang-man man
jcl-midnite-init jcl-midnite midnight jcl-picpocket-init picpocket-test
jcl-erc-init jcl-ido-init jcl-dired-init image-file wdired
jcl-register-init jcl-command-subset-init jcl-generic-init generic-x
jcl-eww-init eww url-queue shr svg dom jcl-org-init poporg ob-latex
ox-beamer org-feed org-capture jcl-shell-init jcl-haskell-init
jcl-haskell-old inf-haskell haskell-decl-scan haskell-mode haskell-cabal
haskell-utils haskell-font-lock haskell-indentation haskell-string
haskell-sort-imports haskell-lexeme haskell-align-imports haskell-compat
haskell-complete-module flymake dabbrev haskell-customize
jcl-mentor-init mentor xml-rpc url-scgi jcl-google-init jcl-modes-init
checkdoc magit-blame magit-stash magit-bisect magit-remote magit-commit
magit-sequence magit magit-apply magit-wip magit-log magit-diff
smerge-mode magit-core magit-autorevert magit-process magit-popup
magit-mode magit-git crm magit-section magit-utils calc calc-loaddefs
calc-macs jcl-rfc rfcview goto-addr proced nroff-mode table picture
python rx jcl-ruby inf-ruby ruby-mode fpl macrostep-c cmacexp cwarn grep
jcl-elpa-init ffap view jcl-global-init time printing mb-depth saveplace
num3-mode minibuf-eldef icomplete jcl-sl-init jcl-keys-init kmacro
diff-mode jcl-sbg-ssit jcl-google google-translate
google-translate-default-ui google-translate-core-ui
google-translate-core google-translate-tk jcl-imenu jcl-wesnoth
wesnoth-mode wesnoth-wml-data wesnoth-update jcl-erlang jcl-sbg-compile
jcl-picpocket jcl-goblin jcl-dired jcl-dired-lexical picpocket
fuzzy-match jcl-ediff jcl-elisp jcl-grep edebug jcl-stumpwm jcl-org
jcl-erc erc-list erc-menu erc-join erc-ring erc-networks erc-pcomplete
erc-track erc-match erc-button erc-fill erc-stamp erc-netsplit
erc-goodies erc erc-backend erc-compat jcl-vbox jcl-lxc jcl-keys
windmove jcl-isearch jcl-sbg-scan tagbag sbg filecache jcl-bugfix
loadhist git-commit help-fns with-editor async-bytecomp async tramp-sh
tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver ucs-normalize shell log-edit
pcvs-util dash jcl-debbugs debbugs-org debbugs-gnu add-log debbugs
soap-client warnings rng-xsd rng-dt rng-util xsd-regexp jcl-merge
jcl-wip jcl-work-buffer ediff-merg ediff-wind ediff-diff ediff-mult
ediff-help ediff-init ediff-util ediff jcl-sty jcl-epresent face-remap
org-indent epresent ox-latex ox-icalendar ox-html ox-ascii ox-publish ox
org-element avl-tree diet ps-print ps-print-loaddefs ps-def lpr
jcl-template jcl-copyright jcl-template-lib cperl-mode cc-mode cc-fonts
cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
erlang wc-mode jcl-register jcl-advice jcl-command-subset jcl-duff
clearcase reporter jcl-motion jcl-safe-init jcl-site-start jpt-mode
erlang-start qp gnus-ml gnus-topic cursor-sensor mm-archive
network-stream nsm url-http url-gw puny url-cache url-auth nnrss mm-url
nndraft nnmh nnfolder nnml jcl-master jcl-calendar-init jcl-emms-init
emms-playlist-limit emms-volume emms-volume-amixer emms-i18n
emms-history emms-score emms-stream-info emms-metaplaylist-mode
emms-bookmarks emms-cue emms-mode-line-icon emms-browser sort
emms-playlist-sort emms-last-played emms-player-xine emms-player-mpd tq
emms-streams emms-show-all emms-tag-editor emms-mark emms-cache
emms-info-ogginfo emms-info-mp3info emms-player-vlc emms-player-mplayer
jcl-emms emms-mode-line emms-librefm-stream emms-librefm-scrobbler
emms-playing-time emms-info later-do emms-playlist-mode
emms-source-playlist xml emms-setup emms-lyrics emms-url url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf
emms-source-file locate emms-player-simple emms emms-compat
jcl-gnus-init jcl-gnus jcl-w3m-init jcl-term ange-ftp w3m-search
w3m-bookmark w3m-antenna w3m-rss jcl-org-import-icalendar jcl-status
jcl-buffer-init org-location-google-maps org-agenda google-maps
google-maps-static url-util google-maps-geocode google-maps-base json
map org org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list
org-faces org-entities org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle ob-ref
ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys ob-comint ob-core ob-eval
org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs autorevert filenotify appt jcl-calendar
jcl-swedish-postfix quail holidays hol-loaddefs icalendar diary-lib
diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs w3m doc-view jka-compr
image-mode timezone w3m-hist w3m-fb bookmark-w3m w3m-ems w3m-ccl ccl
w3m-favicon w3m-image w3m-proc w3m-util dired-aux dired-x gnus-agent
gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual nntp gnus-cache gnus-msg
gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum gnus-group
gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source tls gnutls
utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win
mailcap starttls smtpmail sendmail message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec epa derived epg mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr
wid-edit jcl-boot jcl-slime-init slime-fancy slime-trace-dialog
slime-fontifying-fu slime-package-fu slime-references
slime-compiler-notes-tree slime-scratch slime-presentations bridge
slime-macrostep macrostep slime-mdot-fu slime-enclosing-context
slime-fuzzy slime-fancy-trace slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c
slime-autodoc jcl-misc jcl-ert ispell find-lisp jcl-misc-lexical
whitespace winner jcl-windows jcl-buffer ido ert find-func ewoc debug
jcl-compile slime-editing-commands slime-repl slime-parse slime compile
etags xref project arc-mode archive-mode noutline outline easy-mmode pp
comint ansi-color hyperspec thingatpt browse-url jcl-face hi-lock dired
dired-loaddefs paren mic-paren which-func imenu hl-line jcl-times-init
jcl-early-init jcl-compat-init advice jcl-util seq subr-x jcl-times
server term disp-table ehelp ring sh-script smie executable
jcl-load-path tex-site eimp-autoloads gnugo-autoloads
ascii-art-to-unicode-autoloads htmlize-autoloads ipython-autoloads
list-utils-autoloads cl memory-usage-autoloads muse-autoloads
num3-mode-autoloads finder-inf python-autoloads slime-autoloads info
package epg-config url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio
byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra help-mode easymenu cconv
eieio-core cl-macs gv eieio-loaddefs cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib
password-cache url-vars time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1871934 416292)
 (symbols 48 93974 0)
 (miscs 40 1916 5849)
 (strings 32 424806 121321)
 (string-bytes 1 12468816)
 (vectors 16 113336)
 (vector-slots 8 1838936 71202)
 (floats 8 4213 3168)
 (intervals 56 54331 6524)
 (buffers 976 173)
 (heap 1024 201857 30288))