Subject: bug#23131: switch-to-buffer-other-frame problem

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2016 17:13:27 +0200

>> If, in this situation, you type C-x b, Emacs won't offer you sample.txt
 >> as completion either.  Ditto for ‘switch-to-buffer-other-window’.
 >
 > I'd say that replication of (arguably questionable) behaviour doesn't
 > justify it.

We'll have to wait until the respective author(s) explain the reasons
for the change.

 >> It's
 >> difficult to say what the correct behavior should be.  I never use the
 >> buffer switching commands, so I have no preference.  But I suppose that
 >> some people would complain if C-x b offered them the buffer already
 >> shown in the selected window as possible completion.
 >
 > Well, Eli Zaretski said of this (I'd emailed him first) "Yes, it's a
 > feature: Emacs doesn't offer you a buffer that is already displayed in
 > an existing window.  This was introduced in Emacs 24."

IIUC it was introduced in Emacs 23.

 > So it is new behaviour.

Relatively so, since I can reproduce it with a seven years old build.
If I'm not mistaken the change is by Juri Linkov from 2008-04-22.

 > Therefore: 1) was it introduced deliberately? If so, why? (if the code
 > was the code made more complex by introducing a special case rather
 > than simplifiying it, doubly why?)
 >
 > And: 2) this behaviour is not documented. My understanding is that
 > documentation omissions are considered bugs.

Juri, what do you think?

martin