Subject: bug#23128: closed (Re: bug#23128: 25.0.92; pcvs calls format-time-string with timezone 'utc.)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2016 11:29:02 +0000

Your bug report

#23128: 25.0.92; pcvs calls format-time-string with timezone 'utc.

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
23128: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=23128
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#23128: 25.0.92; pcvs calls format-time-string with timezone 'utc.
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] (Peder O. Klingenberg)
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2016 14:27:37 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: [email-masked] (Peder O. Klingenberg)
> Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2016 23:44:41 +0200
> 
> 
> >From 'emacs -Q':
> 
> (require 'pcvs)
> (cvs-fileinfo-from-entries "/some/cvscontrolled/file.txt")
> 
> Gives the backtrace:
> 
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Invalid time zone specification" utc)
>   format-time-string("%c" (22264 16191 0 0) utc)

Thanks, fixed.

(I still get an error after the fix, but the error is a different one,
so I presume it's unrelated.)

Subject: 25.0.92; pcvs calls format-time-string with timezone 'utc.
From: [email-masked] (Peder O. Klingenberg)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2016 23:44:41 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

>From 'emacs -Q':

(require 'pcvs)
(cvs-fileinfo-from-entries "/some/cvscontrolled/file.txt")

Gives the backtrace:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Invalid time zone specification" utc)
  format-time-string("%c" (22264 16191 0 0) utc)
  cvs-fileinfo-from-entries("/Users/pok/test/cvscheckout/test.txt")
  eval((cvs-fileinfo-from-entries "/Users/pok/test/cvscheckout/test.txt") nil)
  elisp--eval-last-sexp(nil)
  eval-last-sexp(nil)
  funcall-interactively(eval-last-sexp nil)
  call-interactively(eval-last-sexp nil nil)
  command-execute(eval-last-sexp)

I ran into this while working in a CVS tree at work, where I use a
combination of PCL-CVS and ordinary vc.  It is also reproducible from -Q
by calling cvs-examine on a checked out repository, followed by visiting
a cvs-controlled file.

format-time-string seems to have changed in 2015, while the call in
pcl-info.el is unchanged since 2003.  I didn't dig into the history, but
I guess the signature changed at some point, perhaps from interpreting
non-nil as utc to requiring exactly t.

The fix is easy enough, s/'utc/t/ on line 468 of pcvs-info.el.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.92.2 (x86_64-apple-darwin14.5.0, NS appkit-1348.17 Version 10.10.5 (Build 14F1713))
 of 2016-03-27 built on modesty
Repository revision: c8b868b1e2532aa07dbf4959798dbdc52ea9b5d5
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1348
Configured features:
RSVG DBUS NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_NO
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  linum-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  paredit-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Checking /Users/pok/.setupfiles/elisp/... [15 times]
Checking /Users/pok/.setupfiles/elisp/macros...
Checking /Users/pok/.setupfiles/elisp/mmm-mode-0.4.7... [13 times]
Checking /Users/pok/.setupfiles/elisp/rexx-mode... [4 times]
Checking /Users/pok/.setupfiles/elisp/rexx-mode/rxnq...
Done (Total of 0 files compiled, 29 skipped in 3 directories)
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message dired rfc822 mml mml-sec
password-cache epg gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils linum paren paredit
pok-init org org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list
org-faces org-entities noutline outline easy-mmode org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys
ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs format-spec
find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs gedcom slime-autoloads reftex
reftex-vars edmacro kmacro ido seq byte-opt cl-macs server dmacro cl gv
compile comint ansi-color ring bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra help-mode
cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib cconv finder-inf tex-site info package easymenu
epg-config time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win ucs-normalize
term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
dbusbind kqueue cocoa ns multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 278907 9641)
 (symbols 48 29149 0)
 (miscs 40 93 180)
 (strings 32 46866 8283)
 (string-bytes 1 1509211)
 (vectors 16 42421)
 (vector-slots 8 757783 2771)
 (floats 8 239 6)
 (intervals 56 285 17)
 (buffers 976 13))