Subject: Re: bug#23124: Two minibuffer resize related bugs

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2016 21:25:44 +0200

On Tue, 29 Mar 2016 17:13:08 +0200 martin rudalics <[email-masked]> wrote:

>>> I have no idea why C-x 5 2 should resize the echo area in the first
>>> place.  Are you sure this happened with Eli's scenario above?
>>
>> Yes; I verified it before sending my post yesterday, and again just now.
>
> I cannot reproduce the problem here.  Can you get a backtrace from where
> grow_mini_window is called?
>
>> It does, however, appear to be the case that only the first `C-x 5 2'
>> has this effect: typing that key sequence from either the second frame
>> (with the wide echo area/minibuffer) or from the first frame (with the
>> normal echo area/minibuffer) creates a frame with a normal echo area/
>> minibuffer.
>
> Can you try bisecting when this started to appear?

On Wed, 30 Mar 2016 10:38:59 +0200 martin rudalics <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> Is there something else to do wrt this bug report?
>
> I don't think so.  If Steve's bug is not fixed now, a separate report
> seems due anyway.  

Sorry for the long delay in replying; I was away for a week and only saw
your followup mail and Eli's proposed fix last night and could not
attend to it till now.  I was hopeful that it also fixes the resizing I
observed, but I just built from the latest emacs-25 sources, which
include that fix, tried the recipe and the resizing happened again.
However, I now find that I cannot reliably reproduce it: on repeating
the recipe several times the resizing happened one or two more times but
then no more.  I also tried all previous builds I have, going back to
emacs-25.0.90, and in most cases did not get the resizing, but it did
happen a few times, but again not reproducibly (including the build I
was using when I initially posted my observation to this thread).  So I
guess it's no use trying to bisect or debug the problem, or filing a
separate bug report for it.  Too bad.

>                    And if your "C-x 5 2" scenario is not already covered
> anywhere else, you probably should file a separate report as well.

With Eli's fix I still observe "C-x 5 2" in the new frame's echo area,
irrespective of whether the resizing happens or not.

Steve Berman