Subject: Re: bug#23124: Two minibuffer resize related bugs

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2016 23:09:52 +0200

On Sun, 27 Mar 2016 22:51:56 +0200 martin rudalics <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> Let's start with a much simpler reproducer:
>>
>>    . emacs -Q
>>    . Type "C-x" and wait until you see "C-x-" in the echo area
>>    . Type "5 2"
>>
>> Result: a new frame is displayed, with both frames showing the
>> "C-x 5 2" echo, which already sounds like a bug (only one frame should
>> show it).
>>
>> Now type "C-p" -- only one of the two echo messages will disappear,
>> the one in the non-selected window stays put.
>>
>> This didn't happen in Emacs 24.5, where the "C-x 5 2" echo is first
>> cleared, and then redisplayed after the new frame is created.
>
> So far it's just queer but after returning to the first frame and typing
> C-p there repeatedly, "C-x 5 2" remains fixed in that frame's echo area.
>
>> According to my testing, this problem appeared between Aug 31 and Sep
>> 30 last year.
>
> I love bisecting.  Especially when copyright lines change.
>
> My recipe can be obviously simplified as well:
>
> . emacs -Q to get the first frame
> . Type C-x 5 2 to get the second frame
> . Evaluate (message "x\ny") in the first frame
> . Type C-p in the second frame

I inadvertantly executed Eli's recipe yesterday and noticed an
additional oddity, seen in this screenshot (I didn't realize that that
recipe triggered it and since I couldn't otherwise reproduce the oddity
and had never seen it before, I didn't feel I had enough information to
file a bug):

The extra space in the second frame's minibuffer remains for the life of
the frame AFAICT, at least I couldn't find any way to eliminate it.

This is on GNU Emacs 25.0.92.6 (x86_64-suse-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
3.14.15) of 2016-03-26, emacs-repository-version
bc70fda2c9f93a30351c7c79a2b5763bbbd7bbc6, system-configuration-options
"--with-xwidgets 'CFLAGS=-Og -g3'", system-configuration-features XPM
JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS NOTIFY
GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
GTK3 X11 XWIDGETS

Steve Berman