Subject: bug#23118: Duplicate entries in various environment variables

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2016 19:53:09 +0100

Chris Marusich <[email-masked]> skribis:

> This behavior should be reproducible.  I created a new user to test
> this.  When I logged into GNOME on GuixSD (built via "guix system
> reconfigure" using git commit 43a58615bfc37a053ddaca1fcf11af5c14c0b4b6)
> as the new user, I opened up the "Terminal" program (which launched bash
> as an interactive, non-login shell).  I then typed

[...]

I think the main problem is that gnome-terminal is wrapped:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ cat /gnu/store/x2hz7q806ry8lmwdya0jlff01w7djbn2-gnome-terminal-3.18.2/bin/gnome-terminal 
#!/gnu/store/b1yqjimbdh5bf9jnizd4h7yf110744j2-bash-4.3.42/bin/bash
export XDG_DATA_DIRS="/gnu/store/lbkdykh3aa1469li01rwyya02q50r3b9-glib-2.46.1/share:/gnu/store/sm1i06dhgpkhvgj2bhcn6nfi275slgjz-gsettings-desktop-schemas-3.18.0/share:/gnu/store/sqd3q1xq5fsbga00bwhghi9shi7xdaac-gtk+-3.18.2/share:/gnu/store/x2hz7q806ry8lmwdya0jlff01w7djbn2-gnome-terminal-3.18.2/share${XDG_DATA_DIRS:+:}$XDG_DATA_DIRS"
export GTK_PATH="/gnu/store/sqd3q1xq5fsbga00bwhghi9shi7xdaac-gtk+-3.18.2/lib/gtk-3.0${GTK_PATH:+:}$GTK_PATH"
export GIO_EXTRA_MODULES="/gnu/store/lbkdykh3aa1469li01rwyya02q50r3b9-glib-2.46.1/lib/gio/modules:/gnu/store/ygn4vavcgr79p86jrlmvdycjs81ki4dl-dconf-0.24.0/lib/gio/modules${GIO_EXTRA_MODULES:+:}$GIO_EXTRA_MODULES"
exec -a "$0" "/gnu/store/x2hz7q806ry8lmwdya0jlff01w7djbn2-gnome-terminal-3.18.2/bin/.gnome-terminal-real" "$@"
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

This is done automatically by ‘glib-or-gtk-build-system’, but obviously
it’s not so great here.

I suppose that in practice, it would work to simply switch
gnome-terminal to ‘gnu-build-system’.

Could you try that?

There may still be other places that add extra entries, though.

Ludo’.