Subject: bug#23101: closed (Re: bug#23101:)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2016 18:55:02 +0000

Your bug report

#23101: 25.1; Error when visiting a symlink to a VC-controlled file on the command line

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
23101: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=23101
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#23101:
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2016 20:53:42 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2016 18:37:34 +0000
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
>  Thanks, I think I fixed this on the emacs-25 branch.
> 
> Thanks for fixing, but please note that your fix relies on make_save_ptr_ptr, which is conditionally defined:

Right, fixed.

Subject: 25.1; Error when visiting a symlink to a VC-controlled file on the command line
From: Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2016 19:50:02 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

emacs -Q -nw SYMLINK

where SYMLINK is any symlink to a VC-controlled file. Emacs will
display a curses-like dialog asking whether the symlink should be
followed. After selecting Yes, a signal is raised and the file is not
visited. Stack trace:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument arrayp nil)
file-truename(nil)
find-buffer-visiting(nil)
vc-follow-link()
vc-refresh-state()
run-hooks(find-file-hook)
after-find-file(nil t)
find-file-noselect-1(# "~/emacs/README.link" nil nil "~/emacs/README"
(3277016 64513))
find-file-noselect("/home/phst/emacs/README.link")
#[1285 ".\204..\300.!\204..\301\302.\"\207\303\304.!.\"\305.!....
\242B\240\210\211q\210.\242\306U\2043.eb\210.\242Sy\210.\306\240\210.\242\307W\204D.\310.\242S!\210.\306\240\207"
[file-name-absolute-p message "Ignoring relative file name (%s) due to nil
default-directory" expand-file-name command-line-normalize-file-name
find-file-noselect 0 1 move-to-column] 10 "\n\n(fn DISPLAYABLE-BUFFERS DIR
LINE COLUMN NAME)"]((nil) "~/emacs/" (0) (0) "README.link")
command-line-1(("-f" "toggle-debug-on-error" "README.link"))
command-line()
normal-top-level()

In GNU Emacs 25.1.50 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.8)
System Description: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Configured using:
'configure --disable-build-details CFLAGS=-g'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG SOUND GSETTINGS NOTIFY FREETYPE XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11

Important settings:
value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Debugger

Minor modes in effect:
diff-auto-refine-mode: t
tooltip-mode: t
global-eldoc-mode: t
electric-indent-mode: t
mouse-wheel-mode: t
tool-bar-mode: t
menu-bar-mode: t
file-name-shadow-mode: t
global-font-lock-mode: t
font-lock-mode: t
auto-composition-mode: t
auto-encryption-mode: t
auto-compression-mode: t
buffer-read-only: t
line-number-mode: t
transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Debug on Error enabled globally
Entering debugger...

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message dired dired-loaddefs format-spec
rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util
rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils debug vc-git diff-mode easy-mmode map seq
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-extra help-mode easymenu
cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib cus-load term/xterm xterm time-date mule-util
tooltip cus-start eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face
macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 168760 10124)
(symbols 48 21948 0)
(miscs 40 48 94)
(strings 32 54530 7129)
(string-bytes 1 2271107)
(vectors 16 20478)
(vector-slots 8 465697 3482)
(floats 8 331 146)
(intervals 56 226 0)
(buffers 976 13)
(heap 1024 31200 857))
-- 

Google Germany GmbH
Erika-Mann-Straße 33
80636 München

Registergericht und -nummer: Hamburg, HRB 86891
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg
Geschäftsführer: Matthew Scott Sucherman, Paul Terence Manicle

Diese E-Mail ist vertraulich. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind,
leiten Sie diese bitte nicht weiter, informieren Sie den Absender und
löschen Sie die E-Mail und alle Anhänge. Vielen Dank.

This e-mail is confidential. If you are not the right addressee please do
not forward it, please inform the sender, and please erase this e-mail
including any attachments. Thanks.