Subject: 25.0.92; Change for the worse: minibuffer completion window splits below rather that right

From: [email-masked] (N. Jackson)
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 14:37:32 -0300

In Emacs 24 when using completion in the minibuffer, when the frame is
sufficiently wide it is split vertically (into side-by-side windows)
with the completions in the window on the right.

There seems to have been an (undocumented?) behaviour change -- now when
using completion in the minibuffer the frame seems always to be split
horizontally (into above-and-below windows) with the completions in the
lower window.

This change does not seem to me to be an improvement, as now far fewer
of the available completions are visible at once.

I suppose whether a "portrait" or "landscape" completions window is
better probably depends on the number and length of the completions and
also on the user's frame size, so presumably the splitting behaviour
should be a user option.

As long as the option is available and documented, I have no opinion on
the default, although it would seem more compatible to make it default
to the old behaviour.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.92.3 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.9)
 of 2016-03-21 built on moondust
Windowing system distributor 'Fedora Project', version 11.0.11801000
System Description:	Fedora release 23 (Twenty Three)

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr/local/ --enable-checking=yes,glyphs
 --enable-check-lisp-object-type 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g3 -gdwarf-4''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_DK.utf8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_DK.utf8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_DK.utf8
  value of $LANG: en_CA.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  cua-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  global-visual-line-mode: t
  visual-line-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Indent region with <left>, <right>, <S-left>, or <S-right>.
Mark set [2 times]
Auto-saving...done
Mark set [3 times]
Sending...
Mark set [2 times]
Sending via mail...
Sending email 
Sending email done
Sending...done

Load-path shadows:
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-ref hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-ref
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-dot hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-dot
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-octave hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-octave
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-maxima hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-maxima
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-scala hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-scala
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-plot hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-plot
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-org hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-org
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-haskell hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-haskell
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-indent hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-indent
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-habit hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-habit
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-datetree hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-datetree
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-lob hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-lob
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-list hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-list
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-ruby hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-ruby
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-R hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-R
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-awk hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-awk
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-sqlite hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-sqlite
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-makefile hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-makefile
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-capture hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-capture
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-archive hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-archive
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-python hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-python
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-js hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-js
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ox-md hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ox-md
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-table hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-table
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-install hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-install
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ox-latex hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ox-latex
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-docview hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-docview
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ox-ascii hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ox-ascii
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-mhe hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-mhe
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-crypt hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-crypt
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-macro hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-macro
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ox-odt hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ox-odt
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-eshell hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-eshell
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-fortran hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-fortran
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-entities hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-entities
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-picolisp hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-picolisp
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-feed hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-feed
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ox hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ox
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-id hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-id
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-clojure hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-clojure
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-macs hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-macs
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-table hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-table
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-pcomplete hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-pcomplete
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ox-publish hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ox-publish
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-scheme hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-scheme
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-keys hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-keys
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-io hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-io
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ox-texinfo hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ox-texinfo
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-bibtex hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-bibtex
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-protocol hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-protocol
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-mscgen hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-mscgen
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-irc hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-irc
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-faces hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-faces
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-lilypond hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-lilypond
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-w3m hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-w3m
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-ditaa hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-ditaa
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-comint hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-comint
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-css hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-css
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-src hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-src
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-eval hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-eval
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-gnuplot hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-gnuplot
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ox-man hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ox-man
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-version hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-version
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-mobile hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-mobile
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-emacs-lisp hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-emacs-lisp
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-perl hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-perl
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-exp hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-exp
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-info hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-info
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-footnote hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-footnote
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-compat hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-compat
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-agenda hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-agenda
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-timer hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-timer
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-shen hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-shen
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-tangle hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-tangle
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-calc hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-calc
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-inlinetask hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-inlinetask
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-C hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-C
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-gnus hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-gnus
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-clock hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-clock
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ox-icalendar hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ox-icalendar
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ox-beamer hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ox-beamer
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-mouse hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-mouse
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-ocaml hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-ocaml
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-plantuml hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-plantuml
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-screen hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-screen
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-colview hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-colview
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-sass hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-sass
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ox-html hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ox-html
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-bbdb hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-bbdb
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-lisp hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-lisp
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-java hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-java
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-rmail hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-rmail
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-asymptote hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-asymptote
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-matlab hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-matlab
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ox-org hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ox-org
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-element hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-element
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-attach hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-attach
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-ledger hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-ledger
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-core hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-core
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-sql hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-sql
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob-latex hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob-latex
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-ctags hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-ctags
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/org-loaddefs hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/org-loaddefs
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160229/ob hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/org/ob
~/.emacs.d/modules/emms/lisp/tq hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.92/lisp/emacs-lisp/tq

Features:
(mailalias smtpmail eieio-opt speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe pp shadow
bbdb-message mail-extr emacsbug sendmail nndraft nnmh utf-7 server
pinentry epa-file epa derived network-stream nsm starttls nnfolder
bbdb-gnus bbdb-mua nnnil gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode
nnvirtual gnus-msg nntp gnus-cache character-fold misearch multi-isearch
view flyspell ispell sage sage-load rx emms-bookmarks emms-cue
emms-mode-line-icon emms-browser sort emms-playlist-sort
emms-last-played emms-player-xine emms-player-mpd tq emms-playing-time
emms-lyrics emms-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse auth-source eieio
byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra cconv eieio-core url-vars
emms-streams emms-tag-editor emms-mark emms-mode-line emms-cache
emms-info-ogginfo emms-info-mp3info emms-info later-do
emms-playlist-mode emms-player-vlc emms-player-mplayer
emms-player-simple emms-source-playlist emms-source-file locate
emms-setup emms emms-compat compile navi-mode outshine outorg
org-contacts cl-seq org-capture gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime
smime password-cache dig mailcap gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo
gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source tls gnutls utf7 netrc
nnoo parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message cl-macs rfc822 mml
mml-sec epg mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus gnus-ems nnheader
mail-utils mm-util help-fns help-mode mail-prsvr cl gv org-rmail org-mhe
org-irc org-info org-gnus gnus-util org-docview doc-view subr-x
jka-compr image-mode dired org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org-element
avl-tree org-w3m org-agenda org advice org-macro org-footnote
org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline
easy-mmode org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table
ob-exp org-src ob-keys ob-comint comint ansi-color ring ob-core ob-eval
org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs format-spec find-func bbdb-anniv
diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs bbdb-com crm
mailabbrev bbdb bbdb-site timezone bbdb-loaddefs finder-inf tex-site
info package epg-config edmacro kmacro recentf tree-widget wid-edit
easymenu battery time wheatgrass-theme delsel paren savehist saveplace
elec-pair desktop frameset cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib cua-base cus-start
cus-load time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame
cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 445810 66046)
 (symbols 48 93627 1)
 (miscs 40 2598 7506)
 (strings 32 129711 10750)
 (string-bytes 1 4365468)
 (vectors 16 40310)
 (vector-slots 8 890769 19130)
 (floats 8 556 614)
 (intervals 56 4578 0)
 (buffers 976 42)
 (heap 1024 88295 14966))