Subject: Re: bug#23093: 25.0.92; Change for the worse: minibuffer completion window splits below rather that right

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2016 09:09:49 +0100

>> Customizing ‘temp-buffer-max-height’ would fix that.
 >
 > That seems a rather terrifying customization given that the current
 > value of `temp-buffer-max-height' is:
 >
 >      (lambda
[...]

Since you know your display and how you use it, it should be easy for
you to enter a plain integer in the customizations buffer instead.

 >> It is.  Please customize ‘display-buffer-alist’ for the buffer named
 >> *Completions*.
 >
 > This also doesn't seem a trivial customization; it involves alists of
 > alists, cons cells, regular expressions, functions.

I'm afraid this is a hurdle you'll eventually have to deal with anyway.
‘display-buffer-alist’ is now essential for too many applications.  I've
never been fond of it (as you can find out from some very vivid early
discussions) but meanwhile have learned to live with it as well.

 > This seems to be rather a lot to ask of the user just so they can get
 > back the Emacs 24 behaviour.
 >
 > Instead, I was thinking more along the lines of a simple Boolean
 > variable called something like completions-window-prefer-split-right
 > with a default value of non-`nil' to give the old behaviour, and `nil'
 > would give the behaviour we're currently seeing in Emacs 25.

Maybe Juri can help you here.  I'll add him to the recipients.

martin