Subject: bug#2309 closed by Jason Rumney <[email-masked]> (Re: bug#2309: Saving under Windows (sometimes) causes Emacs to freeze and allocate a lot of memory - Emacs 22.3.1)

From: [email-masked] (Emacs bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 14:35:04 +0000

This is an automatic notification regarding your bug report
which was filed against the emacs,w32 package:

#2309: Saving under Windows (sometimes) causes Emacs to freeze and allocate  a lot of memory - Emacs 22.3.1

It has been closed by Jason Rumney <[email-masked]>.

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact Jason Rumney <[email-masked]> by
replying to this email.

-- 
2309: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=2309
Emacs Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#2309: Saving under Windows (sometimes) causes Emacs to freeze and allocate a lot of memory - Emacs 22.3.1
From: Jason Rumney <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 22:25:20 +0800

Fredrik Hellman wrote:
>> When I start emacs, open a file in a buffer, do some changes in it and
>> then saves the file with C-x C-s Emacs freezes and I can see how the
>> memory allocated by Emacs slowly increases until it after a few
>> minutes wakes up again and says in a separate buffer:

Thank you for the extra info you provided.

Emacs appears to be in an infinite loop trying to create the 
non-existent directory "d:/" and all its parents.
I've fixed make-directory to abort this loop when the directory is its 
own parent.

Subject: Saving under Windows (sometimes) causes Emacs to freeze and allocate a lot of memory - Emacs 22.3.1
From: Fredrik Hellman <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 13:00:59 +0100

Hello!

I have downloaded and installed the following Emacs version for Windows:

GNU Emacs 22.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2008-09-06 on SOFT-MJASON

When I start emacs, open a file in a buffer, do some changes in it and
then saves the file with C-x C-s Emacs freezes and I can see how the
memory allocated by Emacs slowly increases until it after a few
minutes wakes up again and says in a separate buffer:

Emergency (alloc): Warning: past 95% of memory limit

This problem doesn't always occur on saves.

I don't know what more to tell, but if you want more details about
something, feel free to ask me.

Best regards,
Fredrik Hellman