Subject: bug#23087: closed (Re: bug#23087: emacs asks confirmation to open rather small files)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 11:57:02 +0000

Your bug report

#23087: emacs asks confirmation to open rather small files

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
23087: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=23087
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#23087: emacs asks confirmation to open rather small files
From: Alexis <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: William <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 21:56:33 +1000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

i just noticed that two of the OP's responses, and my own subsequent
response to one of those, were only sent privately. With the permission
of the OP, i here reproduce these responses as support for closing this
bug.

William <[email-masked]> writes:

> Thanks for the information.
>
> Maybe it would be interesting to change the default behaviour 
> for all people who ignore the option ?

Alexis <[email-masked]> writes:

> William <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Thanks for the information.
>
> You're welcome. :-)
>
>> Maybe it would be interesting to change the default behaviour 
>> for all  people who ignore the option ?
>
> Mm, i think it's best to leave it at the current size, for two 
> reasons:
>
> * Emacs is used in a wide variety of situations; not everyone is  
>   in a  situation where they're running Emacs on a machine with 
>   multiple  gigs of memory. i would suggest it's less 
>   inconvenient for  someone to have to say "y" to opening a 
>   large file than for  someone to have the 256M machine on which 
>   they're working hosed  by a 300M log file that was opened 
>   without confirmation.
>
> * Which value should be chosen is likely to result in  
>   bikeshedding,  since different people with different 
>   experiences will have  different ideas about what value is 
>   'reasonable'.
>
> So unless others feel a strong need to revisit the default 
> value,  i recommend closing this bug.

William <[email-masked]> writes:

> ok fine, thanks

Now closing this bug.

Subject: emacs asks confirmation to open rather small files
From: William <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 11:54:19 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

When opening files bigger than I think 20Mo, emacs asks for
confirmation. I guess it was important a long time ago, because opening
such files could use all memory and generate freezes. But with today
memory, I think the limit should be modified to let's say 300Mo, or even
bigger.
Best regards

In GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.14.5)
  of 2015-03-07 on trouble, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11604000
System Description:    Debian GNU/Linux 8.3 (jessie)

Configured using:
  `configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
  --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
  --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
  --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
  --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
  --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
  --libexecdir=/usr/lib --localstatedir=/var/lib
  --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
  --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
  --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars
  'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat
  -Werror=format-security -Wall' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
  LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: fr_FR.UTF-8
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
   show-paren-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
y <down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement> <mouse-1> <escape>
x r e p o <tab> r <tab> <return> <escape> <escape>
<escape> <escape> x r e p <tab> o <tab> r <tab> <r
eturn>

Recent messages:
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50psvn.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50python-docutils.el (source)...done
*** Reading .emacs ***
Loading 
/p/opas/src/Ocaml/opam-v1.2b/4.02.3/share/emacs/site-lisp/tuareg-site-file.el 
(source)...done
Loading paren...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
File log_merge is large (43.8M), really open? (y or n) y
Making completion list...
Quit
Making completion list... [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp/debian-startup hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/cmake-data/cmake-mode hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/cmake-mode
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/flyspell hides 
/usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/textmodes/flyspell
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/ispell hides 
/usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/textmodes/ispell
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/rst hides 
/usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/textmodes/rst
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/texmathp hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/texmathp
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex-mik hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-mik
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex-jp hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-jp
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/latex hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/latex
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/multi-prompt hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/multi-prompt
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex-bar hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-bar
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex-buf hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-buf
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/font-latex hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/font-latex
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/plain-tex hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/plain-tex
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/prv-emacs hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/prv-emacs
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/bib-cite hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/bib-cite
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex-font hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-font
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex-style hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-style
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/toolbar-x hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/toolbar-x
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex-info hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-info
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/context hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/context
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/preview hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/preview
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/context-en hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/context-en
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex-fold hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-fold
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/context-nl hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/context-nl

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils help-mode easymenu paren cus-start
cus-load package epg-config merlin easy-mmode edmacro kmacro caml-types
caml-emacs tq ocp-indent cl-macs cl gv cl-loaddefs cl-lib
eurocat-asf-mode opas-arts-config-mode opas-tma-points-mode
opas-traj-mode opas-tma-proc-mode devhelp preview-latex tex-site
auto-loads time-date tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 142264 12964)
  (symbols 48 23180 0)
  (miscs 40 64 118)
  (strings 32 28313 20016)
  (string-bytes 1 695628)
  (vectors 16 14105)
  (vector-slots 8 433981 7341)
  (floats 8 73 205)
  (intervals 56 249 0)
  (buffers 960 13)
  (heap 1024 51533 848))