Subject: bug#23079: 25.0.92; Movement commands leave cursor in invisible line

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 21:19:04 +0100

Hello,

I try to give a recipe resembling a bug in Magit concerning hidden lines
and cursor movement.  In some buffer (emacs -Q) do

  (insert "111" "\n222\n"
          (propertize "333\n444\n\n" 'invisible t)
          "555\n666\n")

and move around with C-n, C-p.  Then the cursor will appear over the
first "5" but point is actually located inside the invisible area.  This
is the cause of our trouble.

(setq line-move-visual t) helps, but setting (setq goal-column 0) makes
it appear again.

For reference, this is the original report in Magit (including
screenshots):

  https://github.com/magit/magit/issues/2592

Thanks,

Michael.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.92.11 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.9)
 of 2016-03-21 built on drachen
Repository revision: 76ef52267cf887e3e1aa6d25b3b16dd0601dd459
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11802000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux testing (stretch)

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY
LIBXML2 FREETYPE XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11